Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reefer71's 240 Gal Build

Clownfish

Reefer71's 240 Gal Build

Here we go again.
    I purchased a Tenecor 240 gallon acrylic tank with stand and conopy.
    The bottom board on the stand was shot so I repleced it with 3/4" plywood and am going to add some additional supports.
    The canopy is in excellent shape and the tank has some minor scratches that I will have to buff out. The plan is to move this where my 100 Gal is and move the 100 Gal to the basement and be used as a sump.
    So what are the Pro's and Con's to a basement sump????

The Plan:

The 240 is to be SUPER quiet, I dont like the sound of the sump now in the 100 so it's going in the basement and hope to fix this issue.
    Any tricks to make this happen????

I plan on purchasing a Reeflo for the return pump.
    Can I plumb the Reeflo with PVC over the wall of the 100 or should I drill the tank and use a bulkhead? Not sure if I want to drill it

100 Gal Sump to include everything.... Heaters/Skimmers/ATO/Refug/Future Reactors/etc....

Return Lines - All PVC or use Spa-Flex? Remember we want it quiet.

I will add a Circulation pump to the 240 as well. Whats the best location for the bulkheads? What pump should I use? MAG 12?

I will also add some LED lights in the future but not at the top of list right now.
    240 DT with a 100 Gal sump

Clownfish
    Equipment
    I have a CPR SR-41 Skimmer and will add a Reef Ocotopus NWB 150 or a 200 INT model - so I will be running both
    What are the feelings of the euro reef brand?

I will use my DC-12000 as a circulating pump

That is how my display is going to be with it on the first floor and every thing else down stairs also. Some things I have thought about is enough water turn over to bring up the heated water from down stairs to keep the tank heated equally. Going with leds and the cooler temps in the basement should keep from ever needing a chiller but the pumps in the display will add some temp heat. The main thing i want to be sure is to over supply drain lines down stairs compared to water lines coming up from down stairs. A snail star fish or fish clogging a line going down stairs will not stop the water flow coming up from down stairs. I want to have two over size lines for water going down stairs so if one gets clogged the other line could still handle the water without flooding the display. If the electric goes off all the water in the display overbthe over flow plus all the water in the lines to the basement will end up in the basement so there has to be enough room to house that water so when the electric comes back on the water levels are still correct. I want to keep my current display tanks in the basement but the new tank will greatly increase the amount of room needed for that water when the electric may go off.
    Jims tank

Clownfish
    Good Stuff Jim.

I plan on keeping the sump low enough to cover any water drain during power issues. How think should the glass be for the dividers in the sump?

Overflows - I want this tank to be extremely quiet, The tank has a center overflow with 2 pipes for draining. It has many holes drilled in it at the bottom half of the drain pipe, should I change this to a different system to make sure it is quiet? I have the durso system on my 100 overflow and its quieter but not silent.

Recirc - What location is best for the bulkheads for a circulating pump? I am not sure how far down or across for the locations of the bulkhead, guess it doesnt really matter since it has to be under the water level during water changes and etc....

I have to polish the acrylic tank since it has many scratches. I will start with some 800 grit and then work through 1000 and 2000 and then polish it out with Nuvus.
    Any recommendations there?

Clownfish
    Not many answers to all the questions....

I like 1/4 inch glass for the dividers myself
    http://www.dursostandpipes.com/
    you might catch Chris DIY reefer on here, he can answer acrylic Q

Quote Originally Posted by Reefer71 View Post
    Good Stuff Jim.

I plan on keeping the sump low enough to cover any water drain during power issues. How think should the glass be for the dividers in the sump?

Overflows - I want this tank to be extremely quiet, The tank has a center overflow with 2 pipes for draining. It has many holes drilled in it at the bottom half of the drain pipe, should I change this to a different system to make sure it is quiet? I have the durso system on my 100 overflow and its quieter but not silent.

Recirc - What location is best for the bulkheads for a circulating pump? I am not sure how far down or across for the locations of the bulkhead, guess it doesnt really matter since it has to be under the water level during water changes and etc....

I have to polish the acrylic tank since it has many scratches. I will start with some 800 grit and then work through 1000 and 2000 and then polish it out with Nuvus.
    Any recommendations there?
    You never know unless you ask,,

Clownfish
    I checked out the durso link and I have the same overflow, so thats a BIG YES to do, Thanks West.
    I found a link to a sump system that I like, but am going to add filter sock trays so the water coming in will flow over the trays.
    1/4" glass it is.
    Thanks to Ken for the pic .
    http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/...topviewnew.jpg

The good news is after spending all day with 1000, 2000, and 4000 grit wet sandpaper the tank is starting to look new again.
    Final polish with Novus tomorrow.

I hope to get this done and change over the tanks this weekend, any volunteers?

The new pump and flex pipe came in today along with the new skimmer pump

Clownfish
    Its been a LONG weekend.

The 100 is in the basement and the baffles are gluing and the plumbing complete.
    The 240 is running but needs the sump ASAP, I think it will be Wednesday before I have it running.
    Here is what it looked like when I went to go pick it up.

Here is some pics of the tank when I brought it home after a power wash

Here is the canopy, only has 5 inches for lights

President
    Wow huge difference, nice work!

Clownfish
    Thanks Logzor.... I need to put some before and after pics up.

The 100 Gal sump has the baffles done and will be adding water tonight and starting the system up.
    Once the water is flowing and confirm no leaks I will get the 2 skimmers going, I am sure there will be lots of gunk since its been 4 days without them.