Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1 gallon pico reef

Well its been almost 2 months since I set this tank up and figured it was time for an update. Temperature seems to be the biggest issue. It stays between 76-84 which is not ideal, but is certainly to be expected in a 1 gallon system. Usually it takes a couple hours for the temperature to swing if it does and luckily it hovers between 78-82 most of the time. Cleaning the tank is rather interesting. I have found that a straw and magic eraser works great for cleaning the rounded surface. The glass has stayed relatively clear, but algae has started to grow on the rocks. I think that is primarily due to over lighting the first month. On a positive note, I have started to see some growth on the corals and I haven't lost a single coral since I set the tank up!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images

President
    Awesome little tank, water changes must be a breeze!

Yeah usually I just use water out of my 90 and drain everything out of the sump and about half out of the display. Pretty much all trial and error with this tank. Luckily no errors yet. Haha!

Well there have been a couple setbacks, but the 1 gallon tank still seems to be doing well at 4 months. I removed the top rock because it seemed to be completely covered in algae. Once I removed it the hair algae problem seemed to subside!? Not sure if it was just leeching phosphates or what. I also stopped feeding the tank...which subsequently led to my pygmy hawk fish starving I guess. I tried spot feeding him, but he never seemed too thrilled with what I fed him. It was probably pretty unrealistic to keep a fish I'm 1 gallon anyways. The tank seems more stable now without him.