Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My 75 gallon build

Tang
    My salinity is actually spot on 1.025. I did just do a pretty decent sized water change from what I had been doing. Usually I exchange about 5 gallons every two weeks. This past week I did a 15 gallon water change and then topped the tank off with about 2.5 gallons of a very low salinity water to bring the salinity back down to the 1.025 level. The parameter check was done 24 hours after the large water change. I am going to try to test every day for a week to see if/how much the levels drop to try to determine if I need to dose or if water changes will suffice to maintain my levels. I am seeing great growth out of the plating version/frag (as opposed to the cone frag) of the turbinaria and seeing even more growth out of the monti spongodes. The spongodes is really encrusted onto the rock and I am guessing the arms will be shooting upwards soon. I was just concerned about dKh values since I've seen some people upwards of 11...thanks for the feed back Logan.

President
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyreefaddict View Post
    My salinity is actually spot on 1.025. I did just do a pretty decent sized water change from what I had been doing. Usually I exchange about 5 gallons every two weeks. This past week I did a 15 gallon water change and then topped the tank off with about 2.5 gallons of a very low salinity water to bring the salinity back down to the 1.025 level. The parameter check was done 24 hours after the large water change. I am going to try to test every day for a week to see if/how much the levels drop to try to determine if I need to dose or if water changes will suffice to maintain my levels. I am seeing great growth out of the plating version/frag (as opposed to the cone frag) of the turbinaria and seeing even more growth out of the monti spongodes. The spongodes is really encrusted onto the rock and I am guessing the arms will be shooting upwards soon. I was just concerned about dKh values since I've seen some people upwards of 11...thanks for the feed back Logan.
    Well test kits vary so much, it's difficult to say where your parameters really are. If your corals are doing really well then I wouldn't change much. I keep my eye on certain corals that quickly loose color, then I really know if something is wrong.

As far as DKH goes, I think the range between 8-13 is fairly safe. I accidentally ran 16-17 dkh for a few weeks with no major issues!

What are you using to measure salinity? Over the years I've had the toughest time finding the right device to get solid salinity readings. Many a lost coral later I've settled on a conductivity probe.

Tang
    I have a red sea test kit for Ca, Mg, and Alk. It's one of the best test kits I've ever used. I also use a refractometer to measure the salinity with the fresh RODI as the control.

President
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyreefaddict View Post
    I have a red sea test kit for Ca, Mg, and Alk. It's one of the best test kits I've ever used. I also use a refractometer to measure the salinity with the fresh RODI as the control.
    I'll have to pickup one of those Redsea kits and give them a try.

For calibrating an instrument, the calibration solution should be close to what you are testing for, so around 1.025 or 1.026. Calibrating to zero with RO/DI could led to less accurate readings.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aqua-c...ion-fluid.html