Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 75 gallon build

Tang

My 75 gallon build

Not sure if the picture will show up or not but I pasted it in below. The stand and hood are custom built for my needs and the stand is about 4' tall. The top of the tank is at about my forehead and I am 6'3". Even though getting in the tank will be a challenge at this height, I prefer it because I don't have to bend down. I also added a pull out drawer for maintenance. The sump is a 30 gallon long and I am running a combo of T-5 on the back half of the tank and custom LEDs on the front

President
    The fastest way to upload pics is via google picasa, then just click the upload to web, then use the image tool on the forum to paste in the web URL from picasa. Pasting them as a file doesn't work well, they need to be hosted on the interweb.

Tang
    I have no idea how to work picasa on my phone. I will have to upload a picture later tonight after work. Thanks for the help though

Tang
    Alright, so this is another attempt to post pictures. Hopefully this works. Below are some pictures of the tank. If this works I will post some more photos later.

Tang
    It works

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Tang
    So now that I know the pics shot up I can get a little more detailed. Unfortunately, I don't have a camera so the cell phone pics will have to do. As I stated above, I custom built the stand and canopy and then skinned both with 1/8" sheets of plywood. The skin is held up by industrial strength Velcro and is stained but I don't like the color (too orange).

The equipment I use has been pieced together over several years. The lighting is all retro fit into place. The main lighting is two sets of DIY dimmable LEDs. These LEDs are directly over the rock-work and center of the tank (front to back). The rocks on the right are under 36 LEDs from stevesleds.com and the rock on the left is under 9 LEDs from rapid led.com and are Cree LEDs. Both systems are made up of white and blue LEDs and are driven by a total of 4 meanwell 60-48D (dimmable) drivers. The dimming is controlled by two Advanced Light Controller (ALC) modules for my digital aquatics controller. The 36 LEDs setup is mounted on a 24" heat sink which is then bolted into the right half of a 48" long shell of an old power compact light system. The 9 LEDs setup is mounted on a smaller heat sink and then mounted directly over the left rocks and inside the other half of the pc light shell.

In order to bring the light intensity up even more, I took 2 T-5 bulbs and mounted them on movable wooden braces and put 1 set of two T-5s on either side of the led lights. This gives a total of 4, 48" T-5 bulbs and 45 LEDs over the tank. The T-5s are not dimmable but I have them come on later in the afternoon, after the LEDs are fully ramped up.

I also have 6 moonlights that are controlled through the aquarium controller but I have not mounted those yet. The controller will ramp up and ramp down the moonlights and the maximum output will range from 0 moonlight to full moonlight over a 30 day cycle, just like a natural moon cycle.

The skimmer is a 125 gallon coralife super skimmer that finally has started to work well. Standard heater, temp probe, pH probe, and return pump are down in the 30 gallon sump. I have an ATO setup that I need to set up but haven't gotten the chance. A mesh filter sock with DIY holder helps with the mechanical filtration.

I also just recently added 3 plastic Tupperware containers to the sump and they are filled with about a two inch layer of miracle mud (approximately 5 lbs.). Yesterday I got in some chaeto and red flame algea the I ordered off reef central. The fuge light is just a $13 clip light with gooseneck that I bought from Home Depot. I also grabbed an LED socket bulb to supply the light (approx. 3000K bulb).

I have roughly 60-70 lbs of liverock in the system. Before the tank even saw water, the liverock was bleached and acid washed prior to being cured. The tank then sat filled with saltwater but without livestock for nearly 3 months. I struggled with horrible algea outbreaks with my last 30 gallon tank so I took as many precautions as I could. I aquascaped with a minimalist approach so most of the "weight" of the liverock is in the sump. I also use the liverock in the sump to serve as baffles (no baffles in the sump at all) by stacking large pieces in front of my return pump causing the bubbles to go up as opposed to through the pump and into the display.

In the display, I have 3 Koralia power heads ranging in size. They are currently hooked up to the digital aquatics reef keeper elite but might be switched over to a separate wavemaker so some plugs can be freed up. The return line doesn't have much flow because the return pump is intentionally undersized to allow the water to have more contact time with the skimmer and macro algea while in the sump.

Now on to the livestock. I've struggled a lot with the livestock in the past but have just recently started to have some success the past 3 months (after 4 years...). Needless to say I am thrilled. I currently have 3 young clowns, 4 blue/green chromis, and 1 bangai cardinal. For corals, I have a large duncan colony with several smaller pieces as well, a golf ball coral (goniopora), maze brain, 2 different chalice corals, green star polyps, acans, 2 types of unknown acros (1 of which completely died except for a tiny piece and is now coming back), a struggling frag of lime in the sky acro (faded bad after colony broke), green slimer, 2 frags/mini colonies of yellow (now pink) turbinaria, pink monti cap, a green and red monti, a tabling acro, a green with brown polyp monti spongodes, some palys, a couple ricordias, and a rose bubble tip anemone. A lot more types of corals than I thought prior to writing it all out.

I won't be adding any more corals for a while so that some of these frags can grow out to fill in the tank. The idea started off to have SPS dominant on the right (where more LEDs are) and LPS/softies on the left, but the height of the rock coupled with lack of holes in the rock caused me to move some frags around and the theme disappeared. I will be adding some additional fish. Looking to add another bangai and a small tomini/bristle tooth tang. Also considering a goby and pistol shrimp combo.

Despite my best efforts, I am having a cyano and some strange type of algea outbreak, as seen on the top of the left rock formation. Much more under control than my past tanks but still unsightly and spreading quickly. Hopefully the addition of the miracle mud and macro algeas will help.

I know this was a huge post but wanted to get this all written down before I forgot or got too lazy. Posting separate post with pics shortly. Thanks for taking the time to read!

Tang
    Below are the pics. The last pic is the algea that I'm battling currently. Anybody know what type it is?

Tang
    So I tested my parameters tonight. ca=500, Mg=1420, dKh=8.6. Are those all in the right range? DKh seems low to me. Thoughts?

President
    In my opinion 8.6 dkh is a good spot. I would guess your salinity is a bit high with your current calcium and mag levels though. If you let your calcium drop to 420 or 450 that would be better. Magnesium looks good maybe a tad high but not to worry about.