Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1 year ago......oh how much money ive spent...

1 year ago......oh how much money ive spent...

so here it is, my 180 reef. i will post details later, but here are some pics for your viewing pleasure. enjoy....

october 2011

sep 2012

zoas start

zoas today

the basics:

180 clear for life aquarium, 3 backwall overflows (since i was new to this, i didnt realize how bad the surface skimming would be. going to make a c2c overflow whenever i break the tank down for a move.

45 g adhi berlin sump ( once again, prolly wouldnt do this knowing what i know now)

apex controller, brs gfo and carbon reactors

60" ati sunpower t5 (love this light, have bleached many a coral with this beast)

reef octopus extreme 200 skimmer

DIY stand and canopy

what ive learned.....
    - that even a mini maxi nem will eat a powder brown tang
    -ywg spawn like crazy, but no way to get the babies
    -lyretail anthias do not eat enough when mom house sits (1 of three perished)
    -acans do not do well in my 180, so they have moved in the bar tank (thread coming soon)
    -carpet anemones are still awesome even though they are lethal
    - chalices are cool, but im not sure i have the patience for their slow growth rate.
    - SPS seem to grow better than my lps
    - ati sunpower fixtures WILL burn out corals, a very powerful light that i highly recommend.
    - w/c are overrated. ive slowed them down to 15 gal/week to 15 gal/month with no ill effects or change for that matter
    - im done with IO REEF CRYSTALS. out of three buckets of this stuff, each one is too inconsistant. need a new salt to try, any suggestions?
    -elegance corals are hands down the best coral if u get a good one. my aussie pink tip has been thriving since i got it in may/june
    - water evaporation has become a horrible day to day task (2-2.5 gal/day) and im too scared to set up an ato.
    - my half azz refugium is dumb and pointless. will be deleting from the system and just filling the sump with rubble.
    - mandarins are def easy to keep with a large enough tank. added mine early and stocked the tank with 2000 pods and the mandarin is fat and huge.

just a quick recap of my journey that started almost a yr ago.

Looks way nice. I love the footprint of a 180. What's the ywg that breed so fast?

Seachem reef salt

+1 Seachem Reef Salt
    90 Gallon Corner Overflow Tank

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    Looks way nice. I love the footprint of a 180. What's the ywg that breed so fast?
    Yellow watchmen goby

Kent marine salt. How do you think you have battle nuisance algae so well?

One ATO I used in the past on my 30g was a Tunze Osmolator. Was the best thing I did for that tank and it worked flawlessly. A little pricey but you get what you pay for. I use ESV 4-part salt system and it is usually consistent as long as I dont overdo my salinity top up in my mix tank. ATO beats the heck outta topping up every day....lol. Esv at Reef Systems in Columbus is $65 for a 200g box. I think it is pretty high priced online, so I make a trip up there few times a year and stock up.
    Chromiumlux

Quote Originally Posted by jmblec2 View Post
    Kent marine salt. How do you think you have battle nuisance algae so well?
    I'm not understanding this question lol