Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naso Tang Dead

Naso Tang Dead

Today I noticed my Naso Tang, who has been doing extremely well had some sort of white, type of growths on its mouth. I wasnt sure what it was, but then I came home from work tonight and he was laying on his side in the sand dying. I ended up flushing him becuase he was belly up and breathing rapidly. Does anyone know what this fungus/growth was on his mouth?
    Here is what it looked like http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... 62&bih=553
    90 Gallon Corner Overflow Tank

Re: Naso Tang Dead

Sorry for your loss - it's never fun to lose a fish. My guess is that it was a parasite - in which case it probably didn't show signs of any problems until it was too late.

What you can do is QT your fish and treat them before they go into your system.

When tangs become stressed these parasites have the opportunity to surpass the immune system and eventually kill the fish. Tank size plays a part in this, tangs needs huge amounts of swimming space, ideally long distances (at least 6'). Without the proper swimming area they might become stressed. Naso are one of the largest tangs, I'm not sure how big your naso was or your tank size but it could have played a factor. Just something to keep in mind.

Tangs are pigs. They eat all the time and a lot. They need a larger amount of algae to stay health, especially one as large and active as a naso. You really have to stay on top of them with their food. yes they will live if you feed them less but they will be a lot more stressed and this can lead to their demise. Also as logan pointed out tank size, amount of rock and other tank mates play a major role as well in their stress levels.

Yea i have a 90 gallon tank with good swimming room, i dont have it fully stocked with live rock. He was about 4 inches long, so not very big. In my tank right now i have 2 gold striped maroon clownfish, a yellow tang, small blue hippo tang, and a miniatus grouper that is still pretty small-about 4 inches. I fed them about twice a day, alot of frozen seaweed delight cubes that have garlic in them as well. I know i should probably get a qt tank, but right now i dont have one. I had the naso tang for about a month and a half and he seemed to be doing very well.

I believe 90g corner aquariums only have a 3' span. The smallest I would recommend is a 4' span. Tangs are long distance swimmers so the span is very important - regardless of how small they are.

I would highly recommend to avoid adding more tangs to your aquarium - I believe you would have a 100% chance of fish death within a couple of months. You might even have trouble with the tangs you currently have, most likely the parasite has gotten to them too, but it may be too late when it surfaces.

Ultimately it is your choice and personal preference what fish you stock but I hope this helps in the decision making. Definitely consider setting up a simple QT, it will save you money in the end.

Sheets of nori on a clip will also let them graze at will all day long not perfect but a little closer to nature.

I highly doubt it was a parasite - very few parasites attack the mouth area of fish and look like white fuzz. It also was very unlikely a fungus growth as fungus infections in marine fish are rare...and even more rarely infect the mouth of a fish. Instead, it was likely a bacteria (that is similar to "tail/fin-rot") that produces toxins and prevents the ability of the fish to eat...resulting in death. Even if that bacteria didn't kill the fish, it often comes with a secondary infection that will kill the fish. Treatment is usually with a wide-range antibiotic. It's very difficult to pin down exactly which bacteria is infecting a fish so wide-range antibiotics are often recommended. Chances are, this bacteria has existed in your tank quite a while, but stress factors (inadequate space, territory issues with the other tangs, etc) caused the fish's immune system to be susceptible. Keep antibiotics like Maracyn 2, Erithromycin, etc on hand...and QT all fish prior to entry into your display.
    200g, 75g, & 15g systems
    PADI Advanced Open Water Scuba Diver

Ok awesome thank you everyone.

My experience with tangs is they get the majority of their nutritional requirements through grazing on live rock.
    Prepared foods alone will not be adequate over the long term.
    If they do not have enough grazing materials available they will eventually weaken and succumb to illness.

Given the naso was there for 6 weeks and behaving normally for the first couple of weeks this fits the pattern.
    He was probably out competed by the other two tangs for the limited resources available on your existing rock.

I would suggest not adding anymore fish based on the list of what you have now your already pushing the limits.
    Instead add some more live rock to provide additional foraging area for the tangs you have now.
    125 gallon reef with roughly 45 SPS and growing!
    Primary Inhabitants: 2 White Face Tangs (MY AVATAR), Purple Tang, Achilles Tang, Blueface Angel (Never seen nip SPS), Magnificent Foxface and 3 Hooded Wrasses

Since you are putting a fuge together, try to seek out an algae you can grow that your tangs will eat. I'm not sure what would be best but make sure it's something what won't be invasive in the main display. This would be an easy way to supplement your tangs diet.