Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trichome's 400g System

Re: Trichome's 400g System

I saw Eric's new system on Sunday ...it's very nice! Great job!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by aquavista99
    I saw Eric's new system on Sunday ...it's very nice! Great job!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks Tim. Its taken me close to 6 months to get as far as i have gotten on this project. I never in my wildest dreams though it would take this long to get this project going. I have to keep reminding myself that this setup will be like this for a long time and that i need to get it done right the first time.
    Eric
    400 Gallon System
    118g Non-photosynthetic DT
    180g Reef DT
    125g Sump
    75g Frag

My overflow is only 14 inches wide on my 118g tank up on the second floor. This left me with very little room for the three 1.5 inch overflow pipes. Putting in Stockman or Durso standpipes would have been a very tight fit if it was even possible. I saw an article about Maggie Mufflers on Reef Builders and figured I would give them a shot. I think i read somewhere that they are more common on the West coast. Has anyone ever heard of these or used them? Here are some pictures of them.

Eric
    400 Gallon System
    180g Reef DT
    125g Sump
    75g Frag

Interesting muffler Eric. I've never seen them, but would like to hear how they work for you! They are close to the hoffer gurgle buster, but they are one enclosed system. One thing to consider, which you might not see, is to cut down the height on your standpipes. They are just a little tall for me, and the potential for overflow increases due to how tall they are. Just my opinion, but I would make three different heights. The first is your primary, the second is a back up to the primary, and the third is the emergency.

Lookin good though! You did a great job with those overflows!!
    Chris Horwarth

I'm here to help! Shoot me a PM!

Follow Cincyreef on Twitter!!

Quote Originally Posted by 30mini
    Interesting muffler Eric. I've never seen them, but would like to hear how they work for you! They are close to the hoffer gurgle buster, but they are one enclosed system. One thing to consider, which you might not see, is to cut down the height on your standpipes. They are just a little tall for me, and the potential for overflow increases due to how tall they are. Just my opinion, but I would make three different heights. The first is your primary, the second is a back up to the primary, and the third is the emergency.

Lookin good though! You did a great job with those overflows!!
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will take you up on the three different heights. I am so glad to have those overflows drilled and done. It was an interesting experience to say the least. I am really happy with how they turned out.
    Eric
    400 Gallon System
    180g Reef DT
    125g Sump
    75g Frag

This is taking me forever to plumb. I guess its better to take a long time and get it done right the first time than to have to do it over later when there is water in the tanks. I have not used a 90 degree yet. Everything is done with 45's so far. Here is the pictures of the plumbing from the 118g tank to the 180g tank. I still need to plumb from the sump in the basement to the 188g tank on the second floor.

You can also see the 20amp outlet i installed and ran from the breaker box in this picture. I will be moving the box under the sand away from the pipes soon. The orange extension cord is running down to the basement where i hope to have a controller eventually.
    Eric
    400 Gallon System
    180g Reef DT
    125g Sump
    75g Frag

I'm going to assume that you haven't glued everything yet. I would try and NOT make flat runs that you have in the middle and left. Instead, try and make it so that they all head to the wall w/one 45, then down to the floor. I just don't like flat runs when it comes to drains. Nothing bad will happen, but it gives it the potential to.
    Chris Horwarth

I'm here to help! Shoot me a PM!

Follow Cincyreef on Twitter!!

Quote Originally Posted by 30mini
    I'm going to assume that you haven't glued everything yet. I would try and NOT make flat runs that you have in the middle and left. Instead, try and make it so that they all head to the wall w/one 45, then down to the floor. I just don't like flat runs when it comes to drains. Nothing bad will happen, but it gives it the potential to.
    It has been all glued together. I tried my best not to make any flat runs in the piping. I was not able to use just he one 45 on each of those because i though it would not allow for enough of a slope to the wall. The "flat" sections really are not flat. They just are not on a really share angle. Here is a better picture of those pipes in question.
    Eric
    400 Gallon System
    180g Reef DT
    125g Sump
    75g Frag

I have been pretty busy plumbing my tank recently. My goal is to have water in all the tanks by the end of this weekend. Here are some pictures of my recent work.

This is where the water enters my 118g soon to be NPS (Non-photosynthetic) tank 22.5 feet from the basement sump.

Here is all 4 of the pipes running between my 118g tank on the second floor and 180g tank on the first floor. In order from left to right, uptake from sump,full siphon standpipe, emergency standpipe, open channel standpipe.

Some of the rock i have to work with for both tanks.

This rock is drying from the 3 day rinse.

Here is a picture of the intake manifold i just built for the 180g.

Is this tank half full or half empty?
    Eric
    400 Gallon System
    180g Reef DT
    125g Sump
    75g Frag

I think I finally got the rock work done for the 118g tank. I got the idea for this rockscape from John Ciotti’s “Upside Down Reef” nano tank. To build this i used a 1/2 inch thick piece of acrylic rod as a support in the middle. To make sure everything is nice and in place i used some epoxy putty to hold it in place. The top rock is one large piece of Tonga rock with several other pieces of Tonga rock attached with plastic zip ties. Here are the pictures of the process:

The drill i used.

Here is the rock work out of the tank.

Here is the first half of the rock work in the tank.

The whole thing in place in the tank.

Close up

Right angle

Left angle
    Eric
    400 Gallon System
    180g Reef DT
    125g Sump
    75g Frag