Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trichome's 400g System

Re: Trichome's 400g System

Quote Originally Posted by reefpets
    I don't know of any other hobby that people will completely alter there home, rip down walls and so on for reef tank.... It's awesome!
    What a huge upgrade Eric. Can't wait to see more photos!
    Thanks. It sure has been a lot of work but its fun and a good learning experience. I will do my best to keep the thread updated as i keep working on this build.
    Eric
    400 Gallon System
    118g Non-photosynthetic DT
    180g Reef DT
    125g Sump
    75g Frag

Well i finally got my 118g tanks external overflow drilled. It took 3-4 hours but it is worth it. It is going to look sharp when i get it going. Here is the pictures from the build.

This is the drill bit i used to cut the glass. It cost about $7.00 at Lowes.

This is the Dremel i used to cut the glass.

Here is the tank right before i started drilling. The board is clamped on to give me a guide so i am able to make a nice and straight cut.

Wow this is taking long. Here is the start of the cut.

Got a little it more done.

Almost done!

Finally done cutting the glass!

The glass i was cutting though was 7/8 inch thick.

Its not siliconed on yet. I have to put it in wall first then i can silicone it.

Its in its final resting place.
    Eric
    400 Gallon System
    180g Reef DT
    125g Sump
    75g Frag

After using the rotozip bit i would not recommend it to be used on an expensive tank. I have seen others us that method before and it worked for them but i did get some hair line cracks going in the scrape direction. I have to do another external overflow on my 180g starfire tank and i am not going to be using the rotozip tile cutting bit. I recently found that Rotozip sells a 1/4 diamond encrusted bit that would be safer to use and i plan on giving that a try. Here is a link to it. http://www.tylertool.com/rotozip13.html" or here for cheaper: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ROTOZIP-DIAM...faultDomain_0"
    Eric
    400 Gallon System
    180g Reef DT
    125g Sump
    75g Frag

Today I siliconed the overflow for the 118g tank into place. Here it is drying.
    Eric
    400 Gallon System
    180g Reef DT
    125g Sump
    75g Frag

Awesome work Eric! I'm jealous on so many levels! Very nice plan and work so far - love the starfire glass, basement sumps, and am really looking forward to that non-photosynthetic tank. I had to tear mine down (it was at work...and we're moving to an office where I can't keep a fishtank.) Keep posting your progress!
    200g, 75g, & 15g systems
    PADI Advanced Open Water Scuba Diver

Quote Originally Posted by Reef'd Up
    Awesome work Eric! I'm jealous on so many levels! Very nice plan and work so far - love the starfire glass, basement sumps, and am really looking forward to that non-photosynthetic tank. I had to tear mine down (it was at work...and we're moving to an office where I can't keep a fishtank.) Keep posting your progress!
    Thanks. I am really excited about the non-photosynthetic tank too. I am going to have to get a second job just to pay for the coral i want to put in it. I will keep this thread up to date as much as possible. I hope to have water and some fish in the tank by the time my November meeting comes around. I am glad i have a date pushing me to get this project done, it is taking me way longer than i thought it would take.
    Eric
    400 Gallon System
    180g Reef DT
    125g Sump
    75g Frag

Reefer

It always does take longer, probably for the best! I push a little too hard on my tank and my wiring is a mess! Now that it is running it is harder to go back and organize everything. Best to do it right the first time or you will wish you had taken more time down the road.

I got some more time this week to work on the tank. Here is the progress my Dad and i made.

This is the RotoZip drill bit i used to drill the slot in the 180g starfire tank. I bought two of them off eBay for $7.99 each + shipping. They are $40 at Lowes.

I borrowed this hand tool from a friend and it worked great.

I had to cut the glass with my tank on the stand hanging a quarter way out of the front door.

This shows the wooden guide i made to get a straight edge. I am over half way done in this picture.

Here it is done.

I got the black background on next.

You can see the slot for the overflow much better in the picture. That is a 19 inch slot and its about half an inch tall. The diamond covered bits worked great and I would recommend them to anyone with plans of making an external overflow.
    Eric
    400 Gallon System
    180g Reef DT
    125g Sump
    75g Frag

Nice build! Please keep the updates coming.
    Chromiumlux

Here is a little update. I got the overflow siliconed onto the 180g starfire.
    Eric
    400 Gallon System
    180g Reef DT
    125g Sump
    75g Frag