Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Aquavista99's 400g SPS system (300g display/125g refugium)

Aquavista99's 400g SPS system (300g display/125g refugium)

After months of waiting without a tank, my new 300 gallon custom three sided starphire glass aquarium built by Marineland (Perfecto) has finally arrived. The new tank will be connected to a 125 gallon glass refugium aquarium filled with mangroves and chaetomorpha macro algae.

With a "high flow" theme in mind, the substrate for my new aquarium will be a mixture of Tonga reef sand (Tropic Eden) and coral fragments (GEN-X).

Flow will be powered by four Vortech pumps with three battery backup units. I recently added two new Vortech pumps to go along with my two existing Vortech pumps.

With any new build, lots of reef salt will be needed!

Re: My new 300 gallon starphire SPS tank w/ 125 gallon refugium

If you are looking for some nice established mangroves. I am seriously considering selling mine.

One thing about the mangroves. I saw you kept them before. How did you keep up with the Mg levels, since the mangroves seem to love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnbelle1
    One thing about the mangroves. I saw you kept them before. How did you keep up with the Mg levels, since the mangroves seem to love it.
    I lost three mangroves during the move to the new house in November but the others are doing well. I heard mangroves do not transport well after the roots develop. I have never tested for magnesium before so the only thing I can say is that both my corals and mangroves are very colorful. If not, I would start testing. On a side note, my large calcium reactor media adds magnesium to my reef everyday, along with calcium, carbonate, and potassium. Just not sure how much unless I start testing for it.

Mega Reefer!

AWESOME! but yes you do not want to transfer mangroves after they have rooted! They will most likely die unfortunatly..
    J.B.

Can't wait to see this setup.. nice tank!

Quote Originally Posted by P. Jibles
    AWESOME! but yes you do not want to transfer mangroves after they have rooted! They will most likely die unfortunatly..
    I agree. I lost three, but five survived. They do not transfer well once they become established.

Quote Originally Posted by itzgtd
    Can't wait to see this setup.. nice tank!
    Thanks for the compliment, itzgtd! l plan to use much of the same equipment for the new aquarium as I used on my last aquarium, which includes access to five Lumenarc III reflectors, 400 watt Icecap ballasts, a large GEO calcium reactor and a large Euroreef RC 500 skimmer. Right now, everything is still hooked up to the Rubbermaid tub until I finish painting the background on my new tank and do the plumbing. The electrical work was completed months ago by a licensed electrician.

Looks really cool, can't wait to see the setup on this!
    - Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by drimo
    Looks really cool, can't wait to see the setup on this!
    Thanks for the compliment, drimo! I am looking forward to finally having another aquarium up and running again as well.