Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carnation Coral (Dendronephthya sp.)

Clownfish

Carnation Coral (Dendronephthya sp.)

Has anyone had any experience this this coral?

King Neptune

Re: Carnation Coral (Dendronephthya sp.)

It looks like a beautiful coral, but have no idea how to keep.
    -Greg-

They are non-photosynthetic and will require hand feeding. Similar to sun coral feeding but they will probably need a smaller food because it has smaller polyps. I think they're generally difficult to keep but that certainly dosen't mean you can't do it! I've never kept them myself... but there is plenty of info out there on them. I've read of several people who have successfully kept them.
    Ian

Mega Reefer!

J.B.

Clownfish

I have read all of those types of things but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with the species. A lot of times retailers say things are very difficult to keep to save their own butts and I was just wondering if they really are a difficult species to keep. From what I have read they should do fine considering the majority of us love to feed the water column and spot feed our corals. But then again they could be very difficult just like they say.... I just wanted to see if anyone had any personal experience with them cause they are a beautiful species and I would love them to fill the dark areas of my tank.

President

I would say that it is close to impossible to keep without a dedicated system for non-photosynthetic corals.

I picked one of these up one and it did not do well at all. I got it at jacks and did not know what it was, I was able to get a refund though.

My buddy Dan has one, its has been in his tank for a few months now. Its not doing well.
    -Konstantin
    --------------------------------------------
    Current tank: 20 gallon tall, LED lighting, Tunze powerhead, Pair of Clownfish, Giant Cinnamon Palys, Softies.

Scott WIlson from JustCoral.com kept one in one of isnano tanks. Might want to ask him.

Has a cot in the back Coral Menagerie's Avatar

i've had one in my display tank for about 2 years. seems to tolerate the light but definatley needs phyto and zoo plankton to survive. mine has gotten bigger but not much, but it subdivided into 3 stalks.

john
    John

180 gal. Fowlr, 90 gal. Mixed Reef, 75 gal. Mantis Shrimp/Mangrove Tank, 150 gal. Rubbermaid - rock tank, 100 gal. Rubbermaid - 26" deep sand bed, 55 gal drum - Micro Bubble Trap, 100 gal. Rubbermaid Sump, H.S.A. 2000 Dual Tower Beckett Injector Skimmer. Over 700 gal. of total system water.

Almost 30 years in the hobby.

Clownfish

Good to hear its a beautiful coral. I completely forgot about this thread lol! Maybe I will get a frag sometime and give it a try.