Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Logzors Official 150 Gallon Build Thread *March 2016*

President

Logzors Official 150 Gallon Build Thread *March 2016*

The plan for this 90g tank is to go barebottom, high flow, and consist mainly of polpys (zoas / rics) and sps (monti's / acros). In my last tank I made the mistake of randomly buying corals at will. I am going to be more careful this time and save myself a lot of stress. Dealing with every type of coral in one tank can be very challenging and frustrating once it gets way too packed.

As some of you have seen this is the rock structure I have built for the tank. Both islands should come within 4-6 inches of the water and no rock will be touching the class, although close in some areas.

Here is a late picture of the rock, I glued on a few busted up pieces to cover up / alter some awkward looking areas:

The next step was to build a tank stand to hold the 90g. I wanted something a bit more modern and the old style was just not going to work. So far I have it framed up and need to skin it and add some doors. I was afraid the stand would not be level or have other structural issues but it turned out to be amazingly rigid and very level. Luckily I have a full blown wood/foam/welding/rapid prototyping/whoknowswhatelse shop within a 3 minute walk from my apartment (at my college).

This is how the stand turned out. I made it out of 2x6 and 2x4 board using plain deck screws, oh, and a neat little invention that made the stand I needed possible, the pocket hold jig, which chris made me aware of:

For cooking the rock I had a hard time finding a container that would keep my islands safe. I really did not want to break my nice shelf pieces if I stacked them in a garbage can. I ended up finding this tub that has similar dimensions of a 55g tank. I will start cooking soon, I did silicone on Saturday and I am not sure how long it will take to cure because in some spots I really globbed in the rock structure to hold stuff nicely. Right now it just has various tools on top and its in my living room:

Equipment wise I plan on getting:

Lighting: Aquaactinics Constellation (7 bulb T5 light). I had a really hard time but due to the cooling system in my apartment I decided to go with T5.
    Flow: Two Tunze 6100 with controller to simulate waves (3170 GPH each).
    Return: 600-800 GPH pump, this may be replaced as I am not sure what brand it is or if it is reliable. (Ehiem would be the replacement).
    Skimmer: MSX 200 Skimmer
    Sump: 30L sump 20L refuge
    Dosing: Liter-Meter III with extra dosing pump for ALK and CAL and the additional auto top-off pump/system for it.
    Barebottom: Possibly starboard if I can get a hold of this stuff quickly.

Re: Logzors Offical 90 Gallon Build Thread

Looks like you are off to a really good start, Logan. Keep the pictures coming!

Mega Reefer!

Sweeeeet!
    J.B.

here is a 215g build that was done very similar to what you are attempting to do (BB SPS dominated high flow tank). I attempted to get him to update the thread for you!

Good luck and keep the pictures coming.
    "The greatest use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it." William James

President

Yeah I saw. I messaged Brian about going BB with the starboard.

Mega Reefer!

drew, or mdog3000 also has starboard for his BB 125 and its just covered with zoas....shoot him a pm and he could help you out in finding some starboard!
    J.B.

Reefer

You're doing it right Logzor!!!
    I have a hole in the wall----filled with water, rock, fish and corals

President

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Just a small update:

I picked up some of the wood for skinning the outside of the stand today, so tomorrow I will hopefully be attaching this.

Also, the rock is now being "cooked" in the 54 gallon rubbermaid container pictured above. I hosed the rock off first and most of what came off was a result of my drilling. I am hopeful that this process will not take long. I ended up bracing this container between a wall and the filing cabinets so it does not bow out too much! So far so good.

I will post some pics when I actually get something done.

President

Alright. The stand stand is 95% complete. I have the doors up at school drying, they need one more coat of paint and some poly. All of the hardware holes are pre-drilled and the doors will be ready to be put on once they are dry, so Sunday evening they should be ready.

This was my first real wood project. I built a small cherry box in highschool wookshop...thats about it. Ive done a lot of painting so I had that pretty much covered and I think it turned out very well for being brushed on. I must say it was a lot of work to build but I learned a ton and had a really good time doing it.

The frame was made of 2x4's and 2x6's. It was skinned with three panels of 1/4" birch plywood and painted with two coats of primer, two coats of oil based black stain, then two coats of clear stain poly. I used a wet sanding technique with 600 grid paper and a squirt bottle between coats to get everything nice and smooth. The trim is just stuff from Lowes miter cut to fit the stand.

If you want any more details feel free to PM me.

Here are some pics without the doors on yet:

Now you can see where the new tank will be. The old one will be tank down once I get things transfered over. It will then be turned into a QT tank in the office once all the other stuff is outta there (extra tank stand, random pieces of wood, tools, and other tanks).

I really cant wait. Having a sump, no crappy clip on fan on the outside, no massive skimmer HOB. No ugly pine horrible stand in the living room.

Oh yeah your going to love having a sump to hide everything. That stand is looking really nice! Looks like a high quality build you got going on here.
    Eric
    400 Gallon System
    118g Non-photosynthetic DT
    180g Reef DT
    125g Sump
    75g Frag