Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fading Zoo's

Clownfish
    What I was refering to in my post was that if you do not have a test kit for something it is best not to dose i.e. iodine. To much of something is not always a good thing.
    Charlie

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -
    Will Rogers

i agree but testing for all that gets expensive doesn't it.

Clownfish
    That's why I don't like adding alot of additives. A good maintenance plan and regular water changes with a good salt mix will take care of most tanks. Once you have a fairly regular schedule test will not need to be done as frequently thus less cost.
    Charlie

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -
    Will Rogers

Mega Reefer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie
    That's why I don't like adding alot of additives. A good maintenance plan and regular water changes with a good salt mix will take care of most tanks. Once you have a fairly regular schedule test will not need to be done as frequently thus less cost.
    hmmmm

Mega Reefer!
    Charle, your salt mix is extremely important, especially if you aren't adding additives. My zoos are extremely happy with Reef Crystals. What are you using?
    Thanks,
    Matt

I have crabs, and I like it.

Reefer
    I hate to hijack your post, but I am having trouble with my zoos now. I have one colony that you can pick up and throw around the room and they wont fade or shrivel up. But one colony has been closed for a week and seems to be loosing polyps, while another (eagle eyes) opened once since I got it and hasn't since. HAve not noticed anything bothering them. All water parameters check out fine. and use Instant Ocean salt. What could this be? or they just going through a cycle?
    Everything else is looking great.

Thanks Kris
    I have a hole in the wall----filled with water, rock, fish and corals

King Neptune
    I would look very very closely for a zoo that just doesnt quite look like a zoo, it sounds like you might have a nudibranch and they are hard to see, have you added any zoos recently? also look for little snails that may be wedged in the colony Kris HTH
    Ron Paul for President '08
    http://www.ronpaul08.com
    "The Bloodless Revolution"

it hard to tell, i have recently changed my sump to the basement and although the water parameters look good i still find them to slowly fade away while other zoa's are fine, unfortuntaly its my eagle eye zoa's that are fading and some neon green zoa's.

i have been looking for nudibranch but nothing sticks out the only thing i see that i didn't buy were some retarded looking starfish. They are mutiplying way too fast for me to pick them out. Although i have not seen them at the sight of damage, they are the only things that i can see that i do not want.

So i'm crossing my fingers that i get my sump design final and RO system hookedup and pray that the zoa's don't fade away totaly

Reefer
    my green ones are slowly coming back, however, the eagle eyes are completely gone.
    I have a hole in the wall----filled with water, rock, fish and corals