Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone have this happen to a colony of Zoo's

anyone have this happen to a colony of Zoo's

It is the picture labeled zoo's sory couldn't unzip the entire file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "The greatest use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it." William James

yup

I have seen this happen, typically it is when we first get them in. Are you they new to your tank?
    Rob
    Marine Solutions

Is something picking on them??

I gues a little info would help:

I have noticed nothing picking at them. They are roughly 6 months new. The only thing I have added to the tank in a while is a couple of leather fragsI picked up @ marine solutions. Other than that I haven't noticed anything unusual. What is strange is it apparently seems to be only affecting half of the colony. It's if they have some sort of bacteria infection or something along those lines??? You got me. But it sucks as they were doing so well.

Any idea's now
    "The greatest use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it." William James

Mega Reefer!
    Duffy, I get this pretty often in my tank... Usually one of my colonies will be experiencing that at any given time. I don't know if it has to do with growth or what? Doug has also mentioned seeing it. The good thing about it is that they live through it!
    -Jeff Fries-

Thanks, Jeff. Now that you mention it I do remember Doug saying something about it. I am glad to here that they do recover from it. As they are not looking so good.

Brian

Clownfish
    Have you noticed many flatworms in the tank recently? I have seen zoos look like that several times when there was a sudden rise in flatworm populations. My guess its a reaction to the juice flatworms let off, but thats just a guess.

Has a cot in the back Dolfan0925's Avatar
    Yeah I have zoos that will recede for a while then come back later, usually when they come back they look way better, as if they were molting or something.

Tang
    Hey duffy, Move the shrooms away from the Zoo's. They combat eachother with chemicals. The Shroom will win every time too.
    Thats more than likely the cause of your problems. The ones a little further away from the red shrooms are more than likely down current from them and are catching all the crap triggered to release by the ones up close that are actualy right next to it and under it. There by not effecting them at all but thier neighbors, and constantly creating a chemical battle.
    I had this problem once before. I switched the current up in my tank and moved to polyps and shrooms. Then all was good again.
    If you move them and they still look like that, I would check your PH, ALK, salenity and all other water parameters.
    Beans, beans, the magical friut. The more you eat the more you toot. The more you toot the better you feal, so eat your beans at every meal!
    Remember this!
    No matter where you go, there you are!

Rotifer
    I've had this happen as well in the past. I recently found a single sundial snail in my tank near an affected colony while the lights were on. I pulled it out and the colony has made a partial recovery. This was only a couple of weeks ago so I can't state that the snail was definately my problem, but so far so good. I just hope there aren't any more snails. I'd say check them out with a flashlight after lights out.