Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue Zoo's?

Zeph, I found that to be so true, And Jeff, would love to swap a frag with you on some of those blues, what lighting are they under?
    You never know unless you ask,,

Hey Jeff-

Zeph is dead on...

What lights are you running? 10K, 20K, Actinics? The pic looks like it could be 10K or 20K, but I'll guess 10K - hard to tell.

If you're coming to the meeting, ask Steve Tyre about the wavelengths that excite flourescing pigments... and I can loan you his Video CD.

IMO, changing your lighting may change the color that the lamps throw, but it also affects the colors that are flouresced by your coral (which is different than the colors that are reflected).

EX: Actinic and 10K lamps (peak@420nm) may excite a pigment that flouresces deep blue, while a 20K lamp (peak@450nm) may make it look light blue (or vice-versa).

I may have some of that mixed up, but that's why I have Tyree's CD as a reference. It's convinced me that my next lamp upgrade will be from 10K halides with Actinic VHO to 14-20K halides and 50/50 or 10K VHO.

-Sean

Mega Reefer!
    The tank is a 20G and I have 220Watts of PC lighting.
    55W- 10K
    55W- True Actinic 03
    55W- 50/50 10K/Actinic
    55W- Daytinic bulb (something that I purchased from Hellolights and was very pleased with)
    -Jeff Fries-

If those are like most other flourescent lamps, you should have every wavelength from 400 to 500 nm pretty well covered.

Best bet is that thore really are baby blues, but there's stil a minimal chance that adding a little more yellow, green, and red may change the color a bit. Probably not.

Sean, In your opinion... What would be the best light for a zoo tank? I'm running 1-55watt 10k attinic 50/50 ,1-55 watt attinic, a 250 watt 20k MH, and soon as Rob gets his delivery I'm adding one more 250 20k

Sry, its the 56, and its 24" deep

zoos

anybody know where to get blue or "smurf" zoos? not seen them for sale anywhere.....
    "If it was easy, anybody could do it...."

Has a cot in the back Dolfan0925's Avatar
    I know Marine Solutions gets them every once and a while. You could call them.

zoos

i'll check, but usually they won't sell colonies, only small frags. thanks
    "If it was easy, anybody could do it...."

Has a cot in the back Dolfan0925's Avatar
    Oh! You're looking for a colony? I wish you good luck my friend, and deep pockets