PDA

View Full Version : Gem tang getting picked on

550jim
12-03-2014, 09:32 AM
Guessing you would not buy a $3000 fish as your first fish. So you have a tank doing great with $50-$200 fish all over. They start picking on your $3000 fish being new. I think all the fish would end up in the refugium and the $3000 fish would be the only fish in the tank. How would you handle fish picking on the new $3000 fish?

West Chester Reef
12-03-2014, 01:55 PM
The new fish would go into an acclimation chamber for awhile.

550jim
12-03-2014, 03:17 PM
Don't get me wrong if someday I have the money I would love to have one. They are a great looking fish and any one that can get one I would just love to see it in person. I would just want to have alot of backup on everything to make sure it lives a long happy life. If my system becomes what I am hoping to make it with all the backups who knows black tangs gem tangs they may all be on the shopping list.

Logzor
12-03-2014, 03:29 PM
Jim with all the tangs you have it's a likely scenario. I think an acclimation box or dividing screen is a good idea, this way you have the best chance of solving the problem before it even occurs. If there is visible aggression towards the new fish, you can target the aggressive fish for removal.