PDA

View Full Version : help! at my witts end...

ladyvalvamp
01-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Need advice on how to catch a mantis or pistol shrimp. Bottle trap hasn't worked and the snapping sound is driving me crazy.

EricShane
01-21-2013, 12:52 PM
:/ good luck.. They are very smart! How big is your tank and how much rock do you have? Do you kno wht area the mantis is in? Would it be to hard to take the suspected rocks out?

ladyvalvamp
01-21-2013, 01:13 PM
It's a 55g and no I'm not sure I haven't been able to catch a peek at it. Not sure which it is yet though. I have about 45/55 lbs live rock and I set it up to have a ton of places for the fish to go and hide. I didn't start hearing the noise till about two weeks maybe 3. Only thing that I added was a small ball coral. I have fish in quarantine waiting to go in that tank but I'm not going to risk their safety till I catch it. I've seen What a mantis can do to small fragile fish.

hscoert
01-21-2013, 01:18 PM
It sounds like a pistol shrimp to me. I had one a while back and he would "snap" all the time.

ladyvalvamp
01-21-2013, 02:06 PM
I hope that is what it is but I'm not taking any chances till I know for sure. There is a chance it came on some live rock I got months ago and it's just now big enough for me too hear it.

EricShane
01-21-2013, 02:19 PM
I used to have one, it was a pain! I think it was a smasher, everytime I would add snails, crabs or shrimp they would mysteriously die and I noticed a,spot where a pile of shells were, like a snail graveyard lol and I didnt put two and two together until I saw him one day, but he was as fast as lightning! I finally gt rid of him

ladyvalvamp
01-21-2013, 02:52 PM
How did you get it out of the tank?

johnnymu
01-21-2013, 03:14 PM
try using a water bottle. Cut it about 1/3 up and take the top part cut and turn it into the bottom part. Leave food at the end and watch if a shrimp crawls into the bottle.

EricShane
01-21-2013, 03:38 PM
Johnny I think she,said,she,already had been trying that..

I had to take the few rocks in tgat area out and put them in a five gallon bucket of either fresh watee or club soda water I cant remember

rbw
01-31-2013, 02:13 PM
We went through the same kind of thing a few months ago. We kept hearing the snapping and decided we must have a mantis . I did catch a mantis in a plastic coke bottle that I drilled some holes in and baited with a piece of table shrimp. I had a piece of thread tied through a hole in the neck of the bottle so I could pull up the bottle without alarming the captured shrimp. It worked, but the snapping continues. We have pretty well decided that the snapping is coming from some large crabs that are resident in out tank. In our initial tank set up we brought home live rock purchased from Tampa Bay Saltwater and got all kinds of unknown live goodies and Richard (I think his name was), the owner put all kinds of freebies in with our order including beautiful sponges and gorgonians.