PDA

View Full Version : H2O2 to the Rescue (again)



Logzor
01-06-2013, 12:46 PM
Most people who have kept so zoanthids have witnessed "melting". Typically the polyp closes up, then pinches at the base. After this stage the polyp and colony goes into total meltdown and is usually a total loss.

However, there is a way to potentially save your coral. When you see the polyp beginning to melt remove it from the aquarium, add it to a cup of your aquarium water. Add 1 to 2 caps of drug store hydrogen peroxide. Wait 5 minutes and place back into the aquarium. Polyps will remain closed for up to 24 hours.

In numerous instances I've saved my zoanthids from melting. Just recently this occurred to my PPE polyps, this morning they're all open and look healthy.

Give this a shot next time your zoas show signs of melting!

Trichome
01-06-2013, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the great bit of information Logan! This is the kind of stuff that makes this site valuable to me.

Mike J.
01-06-2013, 05:28 PM
Okay, this is interesting. I'm assuming this is done as a "dipping" method? So what is it that you're "sanitizing" it from? Then the next question is why are the zoanthids "melting"? Why hydrogen peroxide? (Which we know kills bad germs as well as good ones.) Would coral rx work? I'm just wondering where did you get this hypothesis from?

Not being smart, really.

Logzor
01-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Yes exactly, just like any other coral dip. The theory is that the coral gets a bacterial infection that causes the melting. It is thought that the hydrogen peroxide kills the bacteria, preventing any further melting. It will also kill any algae irritating the polyps. Although no one really know what causes the problem to begin with.

In my experience H2O2 does a much better job at stopping polyps from melting than any other product. CoralRX is more geared towards removing pests than stopping issues like zoanthid melting.

EricShane
01-06-2013, 11:49 PM
Alot of people use peroxide ive read.. I wish I had tried, this before my yellow zoas melted

Logzor
01-07-2013, 08:44 AM
It definitely worth doing this dip. Typically when zoas begin to melt there is no saving them. Once that process starts it's extremely difficult to stop but the H2O2 seems to do the trick most of the time.

EricShane
01-07-2013, 09:22 AM
I have some zoas that a friend gave me, that are bleached and closed up.. They were covered in algae and I kept blowing it off them for a few days with my turkey baster, the algae finally quit growing on them. Ive had them in my tank for a week, one of them opened but its still white.. If I see them start to melt should I dip them in H202

Logzor
01-07-2013, 09:24 AM
A H2O2 dip can also take care of algae growing around zoas. It sounds like they're in a pretty weakened state though so the dip might be too much for them. Might be worth a shot.

EricShane
01-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Well they seem to.be doing better now with the algae

Logzor
01-07-2013, 09:30 AM
I would let them heal up / color up a bit more then if they algae is still a problem do a H2O2 dip. If they close back up and begin melting definitely do the dip.

beansandrice76
01-10-2013, 08:59 PM
When you say a cup of tank water to 1-2 capfulls of H2O2 are you referring to a measuring cup or just a small container

Logzor
01-10-2013, 09:05 PM
I mean the cap of the H2O2 bottle. Which isn't more than 3-4 mL. I wouldn't do more than 1/2 TEAspoon to 1 cup tank water. I will work on getting more exact measurements.

beansandrice76
01-10-2013, 09:15 PM
thank you

Docsky
02-01-2013, 04:20 PM
I have been using h2o2 to treat frags and small rock that have hair algae on them. I cut the h2o2 in half with salt water and then drop the coral/rock in for about 5 min. i have dipped sps, zoa, maxi carpets, no bad effects yet minus on a monti satosa, it paled out pretty good. The HA will bubble like crazy and 2-3 days later it will all be gone form the frag/rock.

PLEASE read up on this if you want to attempt it on your tank.

rbw
02-03-2013, 12:00 PM
I bought a pink birds nest SPS a while back. When I got it home I saw it had a spot of hair algae growing within its branches. The algae spread through the branches. Can I use the H202 dip on the SPS safely to kill the algae?

Docsky
02-04-2013, 12:48 PM
I have dipped sps in h2o2 at about 50/50 mix. I have never dipped birds nest so not sure how it would react. You might want to try a weaker solution like 25/75 and see how if reacts first. you could also break of a small branch as a test frag and see how it handles the dip.