PDA

View Full Version : You dont wanna see this !!!!!!!!!!

bevis
09-25-2012, 04:06 AM
a baby hipatus stung and then being carried off by these MONSTERS :evil2:

i have been loosing small docile fish for over a month with NO signs of illness and my tank is in near perfect condition. being MORE than confused about where the hell they have been
disappearing to, i thought i had some kind of bermuda triangle in my tank..NOPE heres the culprits. I'm just set up a 93 cube with a 100 gal sump and none of the rock that they are living in will go in that tank.
i will pull the rock and force them out and then those rocks will go to the sump................. at least i caught them in action.. believe it, they are gonna be dead meat. and theres are more than just these 2.:2guns:
before i caught them doing this, i had lost a raniford gobi, 4 clown gobies, a citron gobie and a Helfrichi fire fish :angry: . . . all these fish were in perfect health.
keep an eye on your tank and dont let this happen to you before you figure out the culprit ............. sorry bout the damn iphone sideways pics. i didnt feel like going to the trouble of rotating them.

Jon in SW Ohio
09-25-2012, 04:50 AM
Looks like fireworms. Should be easy to trap with a small jar/bottle and some frozen shrimp.
Sorry for your losses!

bevis
09-25-2012, 04:55 AM
im going to sit the rocks on a inverted quart container inside an empty 5 gallon bucket that will simulate a receding tide and they should just fall into the bucket. then I'm going to go outside and do horrible things to them

hscoert
09-25-2012, 07:31 AM
Wow, that sucks! Sorry for your loss :( You can also try to dip your rocks in some RO/DI water to help drive them out of the rock to help control some of them. Coral rx may also help if you have some. If you have another tank to put the rock in then do frequent dips, it may help isolate a large amount Just throwing out some ideas for you...

Mark J.
09-30-2012, 02:17 PM
I think it looks like a baby octopus! I've had fish vanish before and even cleaned my tank and rearranged my rock and never even found their bones.

Mike J.
09-30-2012, 09:37 PM
Watch this video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t23eylcc-WE

redwhiteandblue
10-02-2012, 05:39 PM
thats crazy! sorry to hear that. reminds me of the time my 3" maxi mini stung my 3" powder brown tang, and just held on to it until it realized it couldnt eat it. tang died slowly for about an hr

oldreefkeeper
10-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Those worms freak me out. I don't like snakes at all and they remind me of them.

ladyvalvamp
10-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Oh wow that's horrid....I just bought a couple live rocks from a local store and when I got home and pulled the rock out of the bag and a huge one of those things was on it. Freaked me out... pulled it off with tweezers and flushed it. I'm lucky I didn't touch it or not find it and put it in my tank. Its always a good idea to not only QT your fish but also any new rock.

Coral Menagerie
12-20-2012, 12:37 PM
That's why I use dry rock to start! Seed the tank slowly! I spent 3 days in the hospital for sepsis from a sting from a bristle worm.

EricShane
12-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Wow frankie.. Are you allergic to bee stings or anything

550jim
12-20-2012, 06:48 PM
I have lost a few little fish and a couple 4 inch diamond gobies. New I had some worms but never new how many till they bred one day. Noticed my tank looked a little milky so I looked closer. 8 feet of live rock two feet high started having a worm about every one or two inches come out and squirt a couple drops thick milky gue. In about a minute the water went from a little milky to I cannot see the live rock any more. Thought I was witnissing my tank crash and every fish in it die right before my eyes. Five minutes later started filtering out. 15 minutes later was almost completely clear. Not a single fish died but I probably aged a couple years. Yes I now know I have a crap load of worms but have not lost a fish in about a year so guess we have an agreement feed the tank alot and they will leave fish alone. And yes fish were gone never leaving a trace.

Mike J.
12-21-2012, 08:59 AM
I have a 55 gal. going on four years old. There were thousands of worms in it. The small ones, not the big fireworms. Well, I got a Coral Banded Shrimp and it is now almost impossible to find a worm.

Logzor
12-21-2012, 09:29 AM
What's really interesting is that various types of shrimp will eradicate almost every type or pest in our aquariums.

EricShane
12-21-2012, 10:03 AM
What's really interesting is that various types of shrimp will eradicate almost every type or pest in our aquariums. thats true! I never seen bristleworms till I found out why I added a Frag on a tiny rock about a year ago and 1 of my peppermints went straight to it and started literally pulling a bristle worm out of it

Jasonnau
02-09-2013, 12:23 PM
I have a coral banded, and a xmas wrasse. There are no worms that I know of in a 210 with 300lbs of rock. When I get one with coral or rock I usually throw it in the sump just because I think they are good detrivours.