PDA

View Full Version : fuzzy dwarf lion

Discover Aquatics Shop
03-12-2011, 02:13 PM
anyone ever put one in a reef? i know theyll eat small fish and inverts but the only inverts id care about are my cleaner shrimp and from what ive read unless theyre super hunger the lion wont bother them and the only small fish i have is a yellow tail blue damsel, once again not gonna break my heart. if i keep it well fed do you think it would do ok in a 150 reef?

*correction* a Fu Manchu lion not a fuzzy dwarf!!!!

smcfall176
03-12-2011, 03:06 PM
From everything I have read the Fu. should be fine. I did a lot of research and was gona do one also but decided against because of using shrimp for aptasia. Also I've seen them eat cleaner shrimp. Even when kept well feed. So I would plan on no shrimp if I were you. Hope that helps a little.

jdl513
03-12-2011, 03:26 PM
I would be surprised if the lion did not take the shrimp just like they would a piece of krill.
They are ambush predators, and sooner or later I expect instinct will kick in.

That said I have never kept a Fu Manchu, so I don't know for sure.

starfishprime
03-12-2011, 06:48 PM
I saw a really rare yellow one the other day, nuts.

Coral Menagerie
09-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Don't know where you read that lions won't eat cleaner shrimp unless they are really hungry, but I have had lionfish in my reef tank and they will eat ANYTHING that will fit in their month and will keep eating until they are so full that the last thing eaten is partially sticking out it's month cause it won't fit in it's stomach. I have had dwarfs, fu manchus and they all appear to have the same appetite.

John