PDA

View Full Version : Need some fish shopping advice

philman
01-03-2011, 07:58 PM
OK, I have an very established 70 gallon reef tank. I have a Talbotís Demoiselle and a False Clown. So, I really want to add a few more fish. Looking for very hardy, don't really want to go expensive and unhardy. Just want a few more fish in the tank. Any comments?

Discover Aquatics Shop
01-03-2011, 08:27 PM
any colors your looking to add in particular?

philman
01-04-2011, 07:50 AM
No, not particularly

Discover Aquatics Shop
01-04-2011, 08:08 AM
a zebrasoma tang is a good choice(scopas, yellow & sailfin) or a fairy wrasse is really pretty or a starry blenny or a shrimpgoby of some kind, is there anything your looking for in particular?

philman
01-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Well, I am pretty flexible, mostly looking for hardy guys. I do like some of the fairy's, also do love a nice tang.

Cantankerous Kevin
01-05-2011, 12:29 AM
When I'm looking for fish, I like to cruise http://www.liveaquaria.com and see what pops out. They have good information about the fish including: care level, size requirements, and compatability.

It's hard for anyone to say what you should get since there are so many variables. I'm sure if you narrow it down a little, people will have all kinds of suggestions.

Things to consider are whether you want:
- fish that hang out in the open (dartfish, cardinals), are active swimmers (tangs), grazzers (blennies), or nesters (jawfish, clowns)
-algea eaters (angels, blennies), worm eaters (wrasses), sand sifters (sleeper goby), crab/snail/shrimp eaters (hawkfish), or prepared foods only
-specific colors
-more small fish (blue/green chromis) or fewer large fish (rabbit fish)

Personally, I try to go for a combination. Algae eaters to help control it, but not so many I have to worry about fighting over foraging rights. A pair of clowns and a watchman goby that stay in their "territory", and some blue/green chromis to fill in the middle.