PDA

View Full Version : Tiger cucumber reproduction?

Jasonnau
08-25-2010, 11:40 PM
Alright, here's the deal. About 7 months ago I bought a tiger cucumber at the lfs. It was about 8 to 10 inches long. Pretty much a nocturnal guy. The other day I took out the flashlight and spotted the tank and found TWO cucumbers. One is definitely the one I bought, and the other is a good 6 inches long. Now, did I get a pregnant cucumber to begin with, do these guys split? I haven't bought any live rock or anything, and I'm sure nobody magically got me a new one to go with mine. Where'd this new guy come from? Does anyone know anything about the reproduction of these guys? Weird.

angryguy
08-27-2010, 01:30 AM
It takes a male and female cucumber to make baby cucumbers. Eggs and sperm released, no fertilised eggs held, everything released. Sounds like just a cool unnoticed hitch hiker

Jasonnau
08-27-2010, 07:49 PM
I don't think there is any way it could be a hitchhiker. This thing is at least 6" long and I've haven't added any rock in at least 9-10 mos. Even then the rock I added wasn't pourous enough to hide such a large hitchhiker. There has to be some sort of answer, but really I didn't buy this guy. It has never been seen before, while every night I see the larger one, and then one day, poof there it is. Are you sure they can't split like an earthworm?

gberry
08-31-2010, 07:09 PM
You'd be suprised how small of a space a cucumber can occupy if it has the mind to do so. They can pretty much pour themselves thru crevices a fraction of their size.