PDA

View Full Version : Toadstool not opening up

sshockey
01-05-2010, 08:38 PM
I recently purchased a large toadstool from World of Pets. It also has a little one on the same rock. It has been in there for several days and opened once or twice. The small one is constantly open the other two toadstools that I have in there are also open but a different species. Is this something I should be concerned about? I have moved it to a higher place since I have pc and t5's in the tank but again the other toadstools are doing great. Ideas?

Here's a pic:

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/sshockey1/toad2.jpg

Here's another one in the same tank different species doing well:

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/sshockey1/toad1.jpg

drimo
01-05-2010, 11:52 PM
Leathers are some of the toughest and hardiest corals, but they have a tendency to periodically close up. They will also periodically "shed" as a way of cleansing themselves. If you just added it, stop moving it around and let it sit for a few days and it should open up.

smcfall176
01-06-2010, 01:04 AM
I agree the best is to leave it alone. That being said they do like a fair amount of flow to help them shed. Mine closes at least once a month for a few days and then opens up again. Every time this happens it grows a little bigger.

aquaman7
01-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Yes, make sure it is getting ample flow. The sloghing off of the outer layer of tissue is common and is a way of riding itself of detritus, algae, and debris that acculumates on it. This "shedding" may be indicative of good growth. I have a leather that is growing fairly quickly and it seems to be closed more than it is open. Just give it time... the fact that it has opened a couple time before is a good sign. I've have leathers that took around 2 weeks to open up consistently after they were introduced into my tank.

sshockey
01-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Great thanks guys for the advice

Jasonnau
02-07-2010, 09:22 PM
I have the same problem with several of mine after switching my lighting around. I think it might have something to do with the new lighting. As long as the water quality is in check, I think it might just take it a little bit of time to adapt to the new lighting. After switching my lighting around due to a bad light, I'm having all sorts of issues. I really think it might just take some time for the coral to adapt to the new conditions. I'm not a biologist though, it's just my thoughts on things based on my own observations.