PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Butterfly in reef

mlbarry
02-23-2009, 01:01 PM
I have had my eye on a Saddleback Butterflyfish for a long time now. It is reef safe "with caution." What has been other peoples experience with "caution" fish in a reef? I have a mixed reef so my corals are of all types...sps, lps, softies, zoas, mushrooms...you get the point :) Which of my corals would be at most risk?

Coral Pets
02-23-2009, 04:51 PM
I hear this question all the time. I was just talking with someone about a mantis shrimp being "reef safe". I agreed, it won't bother your corals. You won't have any inverts. or fish left though. I found that "reef safe" usually means that it won't eat anything in your tank. "With caution" usually means it eats something else that might be in your tank, usually an invert or coral. I wish I could answer your question, because I was about to buy a butterfly fish a couple weeks ago. I have heard they usually bother polyps like zoos. I would probably do a little research on Reef Central of actual owners.

mlbarry
02-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Thanks for your response. On liveaquaria it says "The Saddleback Butterflyfish may be kept in a reef environment but will eat most stony corals, a few soft corals, and invertebrates that inhabit any live rock."

gberry
02-23-2009, 05:14 PM
I had a Black Backed Butterfly, beautiful fish, but as soon as I put my 1st coral in the tank, a softie, it was like ringing the dinner bell, it went right after it as soon as my hand cleared the coral. Needless to say, the fish went to Jack's.

mlbarry
02-23-2009, 10:11 PM
I had a Black Backed Butterfly, beautiful fish, but as soon as I put my 1st coral in the tank, a softie, it was like ringing the dinner bell, it went right after it as soon as my hand cleared the coral. Needless to say, the fish went to Jack's.

Oh no! That is not what i want to hear.

30mini
02-24-2009, 07:19 AM
Black Backed Butterfly and Saddleback butterfly are on in the same. These guys are not reef safe, but if you go with a Pyramid butterfly, they are one of the only true reef butterfly fish. Kevin (KGERBUS) has a beautiful one in his reef! Also, copperband's are safe to have, but can nip at zoas. John (Frankie) has had one in his reef for years, in fact he's on his second, and it doesn't bother the corals.

mlbarry
02-24-2009, 07:40 AM
Maybe I will research the Pyramid Butterfly. I have some great zoas and would be soooo mad if something got them :) Thanks Chris!

L8-NiTe
02-24-2009, 12:32 PM
I had a copperband butterfly for almost a year and all he ate that i didnt want him to was my flame scallops.IT didnt touch my clams or any corals as far as i could tell.Nothing was ever closed up like it was being nipped at.

its fry
03-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Jacks's aquarium and pets at Waterford crossing got a butterfly in their display tank for the sole purpose of eating mojano anemonies.
I don't believe its bothered any corals yet.

If you call and ask them what kind, I'm sure they'd be happy to tell you their story, the fish, and their experience with it.

L8-NiTe
03-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Wish i knew what one eats majanos.I've read all over but never heard of that before.

30mini
03-03-2009, 09:11 PM
I've never heard of one eating mojano's before... but aiptasia, a copperband will take care of those. Not sure that they'll touch mojano's though

L8-NiTe
03-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Yea Copperbands def dont touch Majanos.I wish they did though lol.Maybe we can trick them by rubbing some aiptasia slime on the majanos.