PDA

View Full Version : my first post! using rock i picked up on the beach

downshift93
12-29-2008, 05:10 PM
as you can see from my subject this is my first post. I met a guy named robby at jacks the other day and he told me about this site.

I have a 20 gallon reef tank but I got myself a 75 gallon tank for christmas! I am going to make that tank fish only. here is my question. when I was in st. petersburg florida I found some beautiful rocks on the beach that has washed up due to a hurricane being in the gulf. 2 of the rocks are prob over 50 lbs each and the have some really cool fossils in them. I was wanting to know if it would hurt to use some of this rock in my tank. they have been out of the ocean for about 4 months and I cleaned them off with a high pressure hose using tap water, nothing else. I understand that it wont be live rock I just want to use them b/c they are really nice rocks with cool fossils in them!

Thanks for your help!

BTW I dont have anything in my tank yet, not even water yet. Im waiting to buy a RO system before I fill it up.

30mini
12-29-2008, 05:31 PM
You can use it... but I would do more than just what you did. You really need to make sure that there isnt ANYTHING in the rocks. A bleach solution would help, as well as baking the rock in the sun for a week. Again, this would have to be SUMMER sun, as hot and as dry as possible. In theory, you can use it, but take the necessary precautions!

30mini
12-29-2008, 05:31 PM
almost forgot

xxwelcomexx

downshift93
12-29-2008, 05:52 PM
what if I put them in the oven on the lowest setting for an hour or two my oven says warm and then 200 so I could set it to warm. also I got a bunch of big conch shells and some other shells that I was thinking about having sticking out of the sand, would I have any problems with the shells?

Thanks for your help :-)

30mini
12-29-2008, 09:23 PM
again, just make sure you clean them as good as you can. Baking the rocks is not that good of an idea, but it would work. I don't recommend it though.

downshift93
12-29-2008, 10:48 PM
why would you not recommend it? I was thinking that if there was any water trapped inside the rock and it started to boil then something bad might happen but I dont think that water will boil at 200 but idk.

k9gunner
12-29-2008, 11:41 PM
I would not use bleach, and I would probably not boil them, just leave them out for a while and then rinse them very well. Let them soak in a bucket of water and keep changing the water.

downshift93
12-30-2008, 11:11 PM
I am putting the rocks in the oven tonight for 20 min at 200 degrease, after 20 min Im going to turn off the oven and let them stay in there over night. do you think that will be enough to kill off anything thats left? keep in mind its been out of the water for 4 months at least.

trish&dave
12-31-2008, 08:11 AM
I would be interested in seeing pictures if you could post. Welcome to Cincyreef!!!!

30mini
12-31-2008, 10:08 AM
That might kill anything that's left, but I wouldn't say it will for sure. Bacteria is pretty powerfull... so, before you put this in your tank, just make sure that you cycle it really well, and you don't put any livestock in there until the full cycle has completed, and everything looks good.

Cantankerous Kevin
12-31-2008, 10:36 AM
I was thinking of doing something similar. I got a nice piece of Texas Holey Rock (about 2'x1'x6") that has been sitting in the yard at my mom's house for a couple of years. Seems to have a little bit of green algae growing on it that I was going to try and scrub off. Would letting it soak in water removed from the tank help to clean it?

downshift93
12-31-2008, 04:57 PM
well I ended up leaving them in the oven for about 50 min. after 15 I checked them and they were not as hot as I would have liked. so I left them in the oven till they got good and hot and I let them sit for a while in the oven. it took about an hour for them to cool down. even when I picked the rocks off the beach they didnt have any algae, scum, living things, ext on them. I think I will be ok, I also put my shells in for the last 10 min and let them bake. they got very hot very quickly. so I really think that if anything was alive or whatever then its dead now. I will try and get some pics.

gberry
12-31-2008, 05:35 PM
I got here a bit late, but a point of caution. Placing rocks in the oven is a 'not good' idea. If any water is trapped inside the rock, it could result in the rock exploding. I've seen this happen in more than a few campfires.

reeflover
01-26-2009, 06:09 PM
any pics of this rock just curious on how it looks

downshift93
01-28-2009, 01:57 PM
it wont let me add a pic, it says the attachment quota has been met :-/

30mini
01-28-2009, 01:59 PM
Looks like you need to get a photobucket account set up and use that to put pictures on here! It's easier that way IMO!