PDA

View Full Version : Two Barred Rabbitfish (Siganus virgatus)

Logzor
12-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Just got this fish in my tank. Eats a particular algae that I dont want.

My Tomini Tang is harassing this fish every couple of minutes. How long does it take for these guys to settle down?

30mini
12-15-2008, 09:34 AM
It may take a few days... they'll be okay, just let the pecking order hash itself out.

Logzor
12-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Good news. By the evening the Tomini quit harassing the new guy. I even saw him peck at some algea.

Coral Pets
12-16-2008, 02:58 PM
I am still looking for something to eat hair algae. Rabbitfish have poisonous spines, so might have gave the tang a little dose. My Tomini is pretty docile for a tang.

Coral Menagerie
12-16-2008, 05:30 PM
vince don't worry about the poisonous barbs most fish have something in their top fin. i am a big fan of rabbitfish. they will eat ANY algea available hair, red turf, caulerpa i mean anything. i have a blueline in my display tank and right now it is spotless and a month and a half ago i was overgrow with caulerpa, the red turf and hair. the only other herbivore fish i have is a 2" mimic tang. i would highly recommend the species for larger systems. they need space.

john

DRoy1124
12-16-2008, 10:51 PM
you simply cannot beat a lawnmower blenny for hair algae...nothing compares.

Coral Pets
12-17-2008, 09:36 AM
I got stung by my old rabbitfish, doesn't hurt that bad. Catfish in lakes around here are worse. I have a 8" sailfin tang, Tomini tang, Hepatis Tang, Two bar rabbitfish, turbo snails. None of them really touch the algae in my tank. Sailfin tang nips on it here and there. I only feed my fish once a day too, so it's not like they are overfed. I have even not fed them for a few days to starve them. Even then they don't eat it. So I don't know if I have a weird strain of algae that nothing eats. I have been doing water changes every 10-14 days too, which doesn't help much.

Only way I have gotten rid of the algae is carbon dosing. Even with that method, you have to "overdose" to phase the algae.

Coral Menagerie
12-17-2008, 11:32 AM
dave i would pick rabbitfish against a lawnmower blenny any day for eating algea. and vince i've had foxface and scribble rabbitfish and they ate all types of algea, but like they say any given fish can act totally different from the rest.

john

Coral Pets
12-17-2008, 01:30 PM
I had a foxface before that did a good job. I was just reading not to mix two different kinds together. Because I was thinking about adding a foxface. Did you have the two different kinds at the same time?

Coral Menagerie
12-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Right now I have a foxface and a orange spot together. You can keep different species together. I think the 2 bar and the foxface are in the same species. Don't think they would be good together.

John

Logzor
12-17-2008, 07:04 PM
The two-bar is starting to peck at some algae and getting a bit less shy. Every time he goes for some the tang comes and eats at the same spot!

Awesome looking fish, though. I just hope he does not any any zoas in the future.

L8-NiTe
12-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Buddy of mine just got rid of his 2 barred for tearing his zoas and other corals apart.I guess its all about the fish you get,i had a copperband that didnt mess with anything in my tank while other people say that they pick on clams scallops corals etc.Good luck!

Coral Pets
12-20-2008, 02:11 PM
Well the Two Bar or Scribbled Rabbitfish (same fish) that I have doesn't bother my corals or zoas. But he doesn't eat the algae like he is supposed to. So I went ahead and got a Foxface. The Foxface is eating the hair algae! The two aren't fighting luckily. The sailfin tang and the two bar have somewhat paired up though, like mates (before I got the foxface). So the sailfin keeps the two bar away from the foxface. I used to have a lawnmower blenny. I just picked up a starry blenny. They help with the rocks, but I don't think they eat as much as the foxface do.

Tom
12-20-2008, 04:53 PM
So are you just putting them into the main tank without quarantine them? Because I just got a foxface and put him in the 20 gallon QT tank he does not seem very happy. He eats and everything but he is very shy and will not come out. He stays behind a rock and changes to a black color like he is stressed out. Tom

Coral Pets
12-21-2008, 07:20 PM
I don't quarantine fish. It is very typical of the foxface to be very shy. Luckily the one I purchased isn't too shy. The first one I owned was very shy. Took about a month for him to come around.

Coral Menagerie
12-22-2008, 09:28 AM
the two bar and the scribbled are not the same fish. two bar is s. virgatus and the scribbled or blue lined is s. doliatus. both my orange spot and my scribbled rabbitfish run around with the tangs in their respective tanks. seems like they follow the tangs around and were ever the tang is eating you can usually find the rabbitfish. and yes the rabbitfish are very shy. i have had the scribbled for over 2 months and still whenever you walk in front of the tank it runs and hides.

john