PDA

View Full Version : Carnation Coral (Dendronephthya sp.)

aquadude
09-17-2008, 07:18 PM
Has anyone had any experience this this coral?

gthorpe2
09-17-2008, 07:28 PM
It looks like a beautiful coral, but have no idea how to keep.

aquaman7
09-17-2008, 07:37 PM
They are non-photosynthetic and will require hand feeding. Similar to sun coral feeding but they will probably need a smaller food because it has smaller polyps. I think they're generally difficult to keep but that certainly dosen't mean you can't do it! I've never kept them myself... but there is plenty of info out there on them. I've read of several people who have successfully kept them.

P. Jibles
09-19-2008, 01:20 PM
http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_dis ... pcatid=645 (http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+600+645&pcatid=645)

aquadude
09-19-2008, 10:50 PM
I have read all of those types of things but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with the species. A lot of times retailers say things are very difficult to keep to save their own butts and I was just wondering if they really are a difficult species to keep. From what I have read they should do fine considering the majority of us love to feed the water column and spot feed our corals. But then again they could be very difficult just like they say.... I just wanted to see if anyone had any personal experience with them cause they are a beautiful species and I would love them to fill the dark areas of my tank.

Logzor
09-20-2008, 04:06 PM
I would say that it is close to impossible to keep without a dedicated system for non-photosynthetic corals.

I picked one of these up one and it did not do well at all. I got it at jacks and did not know what it was, I was able to get a refund though.

only_mnh
12-11-2008, 12:38 AM
My buddy Dan has one, its has been in his tank for a few months now. Its not doing well.

Coral Pets
12-11-2008, 10:55 AM
Scott WIlson from JustCoral.com kept one in one of isnano tanks. Might want to ask him.

Coral Menagerie
12-11-2008, 01:58 PM
i've had one in my display tank for about 2 years. seems to tolerate the light but definatley needs phyto and zoo plankton to survive. mine has gotten bigger but not much, but it subdivided into 3 stalks.

john

aquadude
12-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Good to hear its a beautiful coral. I completely forgot about this thread lol! Maybe I will get a frag sometime and give it a try.

its fry
03-02-2009, 03:59 PM
They are non-photosynthetic and will require hand feeding. Similar to sun coral feeding but they will probably need a smaller food because it has smaller polyps. I think they're generally difficult to keep but that certainly dosen't mean you can't do it! I've never kept them myself... but there is plenty of info out there on them. I've read of several people who have successfully kept them.

Yep. Non-Photo.
I used to see some really nice orange ones all the time, but even the store owner told me "don't bother unless you're an expert."

Coral Ranch
03-02-2009, 09:44 PM
We get them in when we order box lots but we never specifically order them.More times than not they slowly fade and die.