PDA

View Full Version : Bristle worm problem

gthorpe2
03-14-2008, 06:12 PM
I've had my saltwater tank up and running for about 6 months now, and I've notice alot of bristle worms. I've purchased some rock from Jacks, and the rest from people takng there tanks down. I'd say I have about 75-80 lbs of rock in my 75g. I've eard that bristle worms are good scavengers, which I've noticed that, but it's seems like they are doubling. What are some ways to get rid of the worms? Should I keep them in my tank? Will they get bigger and eat my inverts? Will they bother corals or Anemones?

KGERBUS
03-14-2008, 11:37 PM
From what I understand they are good for your tank. I have not had any problems with them. Just do not touch them! It hurts.
Kevin

30mini
03-15-2008, 07:47 AM
Just do not touch them! It hurts.

Yea, just ask John (Frankie)!!

riderc82
03-15-2008, 02:36 PM
I think it's just kind of a cycle, At one point I had tons of them and now I hardly ever see any. They are good scavengers they shouldn't hurt anything but you. People used to say they killed clams but now they say they never killed clams but would consume dead ones.

Coral Menagerie
03-16-2008, 11:51 AM
yes they do hurt like heck. you won't see them too much but you'll know when you get stung.

frankie

gthorpe2
03-16-2008, 06:13 PM
I've picked a couple up and they haven't stung me. I picked them up to get rid of them. Is there anything that eats bristle worms? Like I said I have a lot of them.

L8-NiTe
03-16-2008, 08:12 PM
Arrow crab,sixline wrasse just to name a couple.

Coral Menagerie
03-17-2008, 09:26 AM
psuedochromis will eat them. but like others have said they are not bad for your tank.

frankie

gthorpe2
03-17-2008, 10:34 AM
ok thanks to all for your help

reefer686
03-19-2008, 03:13 PM
I had an arrow crab and he would dig through my rock work and would pull bristle worms out and eat them. So if your looking to get rid of some the arrow crab is an inexpensive way to do so.

only_mnh
04-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Coral Banded Shrimp is also a good weapon against bristle worms.

aquaman7
05-14-2008, 11:49 PM
Bristles are excellent scaveners for your tank. They may be in relatively large numbers now (with your tank being new) but in time they will naturally decline to a more appealing number as the waste products in the tank begin to dwindle. I have heard some horror stories about worms eating coral and sessile inverts but those are other species than the common bristleworms you get hitch-hiking on your rocks... It's pretty uncommon that the worms you have in your tank are predatory. Other than being a little creepy looking they are great scavengers and I wouldn't try to erradicate them, they are helping your tank especially now while you're cycling.