PDA

View Full Version : bio cube skimmer?

Finny
03-06-2008, 05:28 PM
I have a 14g biocube. I was told that a skimmer wasn't necessary if my parameters were within range, and if I'm using R/O water. They are within range and I'm using the R/O water.

My question is... do I really need a skimmer? and... What good will it do?

30mini
03-07-2008, 07:17 AM
If your doing regular water changes, like once a week, than no, you don't need a skimmer. If your not doing regular water changes, than a skimmer will help you get the organics out of the water that are produced by your fish and corals. They are beneficial, but not needed in a smaller tank if regular maintanance is done!

k9gunner
03-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Dont get the Oceanic skimmer that is ment for the biocube. It will work for about 3 weeks, then it takes a crap. The airstone gets clogged.

Finny
03-09-2008, 10:49 PM
What do you suggest? That was the one I was going to get.

The reason I'm going to try a skimmer is because all of my critters have died, yet ALL my water numbers have been within recommended parameters. And I don't know what else to do. I've used the salt water mix in the 2.5 g jug from Jacks, target fed the anemones, fed different types of food alternating mysis, brine shrimp, and formula 2 flakes.

The only thing that is thriving right now are my BTA and another little tomato looking anenome, a red legged crab, a nassarius snail, 8 little tiny snails and a turbo snail. Oh.. and lots of diatom bloom and hair algae.

I've lost 2 ocellaris clowns, a tomato clown and a peppermint shrimp. I also had a mini horseshoe crab and it died too.

cincybob
03-09-2008, 11:18 PM
How long did you cycle your tank? You did cycle it first, correct?

Finny
03-09-2008, 11:30 PM
Yup.. it cycled for 3 weeks prior to putting any livestock in it. I had live sand, saltwater, and live rock. I kept ckecking the water for pH, calcium, ammonia, salinity...etc...

I've even done a 2.5g water change - it's a 14 gal biocube with approx 8lbs of rock

I'm ready to break it all down and start over again with all new water and sand, but I don't know what to do with the anemone's and other critters. This has been a really expensive experience.

only_mnh
03-10-2008, 01:07 AM
Did you have ALL those critters in there at the same time?
Because thats a lot. I don't know if 3 clowns can thrive in a 14 gal.

gthorpe2
03-10-2008, 01:15 AM
He said he's lost those.

Did you have ALL those critters in there at the same time?
Because thats a lot. I don't know if 3 clowns can thrive in a 14 gal.

Finny
03-10-2008, 06:22 AM
No.. the ocellaris clowns were the first and they were very small. After they disappeared.. I woke up one morning and they were gone. I checked the overflow and all the other parts of the filters and they were just gone. I think the anemone ate one, and found the body of the other being eaten by the shrimp.

Then, I got a tomato clown and he and the shrimp were the last to die.

30mini
03-10-2008, 07:36 AM
How fast did you add these? You could have shocked your system with a HUGE influx of bioload and it wasn't able to keep up. This could be the reason, and when the things die, everything goes back to normal! Hold off for a while before adding anything... then add 1 fish/invert at a time every two to three weeks to allow your bacteria to catch up!! Seems like your just going too fast!

Finny
03-11-2008, 05:18 PM
I'm going to not put anything back into the tank for at least 8 weeks. I'm not sure, but it was possible that the fish might have had ich. Catalyst (in one of the past threads) suggested that 8 weeks would kill any that was in the tank.

I didn't add the fish too quickly. I had the peppermint shrimp, red legged crab and turbo snail in for about a week and a half. Then added the 2 ocellaris clowns and their anemone. A week later, I added another snail, and some other bottom feeders.

So... I've decided that NO more livestock will be added for the next 8 weeks. Well.. maybe just a peppermint shrimp to keep the aiptasia in check.

L8-NiTe
03-17-2008, 06:08 PM
I think you had those problems because you didnt cycle the tank long enough.I usually do a minimum of 30 days and most of the time i wait 45-60.Just take it slow,it will come together.

k9gunner
03-23-2008, 11:28 PM
I agree, let things balance out, as you have planned. A skimmer is not going to help, and I have yet to find a good affordable skimmer that will fit inside the chamber without cutting your hood.

Keep us updated.

only_mnh
04-02-2008, 04:03 PM
My 14 gal. has been up since july, and I have no need for a skimmer. my snails and crabs take care of all the waste.
Unfortunately, my coral banded shrimp is so hungry: he is eating all my slugs. :(