PDA

View Full Version : sump question, sand and macro algae your opions please

alstitan
02-15-2008, 04:54 PM
I am sure this has been ask before but I wasn't finding the info I was looking for by searching. I have a wet dry that I am turning into a sump. My question is how many people use sand and would it be better to start with that than non at all. At first I was only going to do live rock but am now leaning toward rock and sand and maybe macro algae. Also what type of macro algae would be best for the sump. Also what type of lighting is recommended? I read somewhere about using some sort of clip on light from Home Depot. I don't want to spend a ton on a light. Also about the sand I was planing on buying new sand and then adding some of the sand in my tank to that would that be fine? Thanks in advance for the help.

L8-NiTe
02-15-2008, 07:18 PM
couple inches of live sand,big ball of Cheato(macro)
bunch live rubble rock.Regular shop light with a 6500k bulb.This would actually be considered a refugium instead of a sump.You will be very pleased with it.

30mini
02-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Mike is correct on everything he just said! A fuge and getting the RO/DI water into your system will be the best things that you can do for it!! You'll notice a huge benefit from the macro by your micro algea dieing off fast. As well as a huge amount of pods that will come to be. Cheato is the best macro to get b/c it doesn't really go sexual, which Culerpa can do. Also look into mangroves, depending on how deep of a fuge your looking into. For that info, I can send you a link if you want. Also, like I said, don't hesitat to ask me to swing by after work one day to help you. Or even lunch time b/c you so close to where I work. Have fun, and don't listen to your brother-in-law :lol:

alstitan
02-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Thanks for your help I won't listen to my bil. This is why I came here to get much better advice. I am going to try and draw a pic of what I want to do and post if tomorrow. Then you can let me know what you think. Thanks again.

alstitan
02-15-2008, 10:23 PM
Ok here is a quick picture of what I was thinking. Oh it is an old wet/dry and I don't think I am going to have enough room for my heater either. Only question is there enough room for sand? Not sure how much space is needed. Sorry about the bad skimmer drawing it is not going to be floating.

Coral Pets
02-16-2008, 11:58 AM
If the skimmer will fit into that 6" area where you are planning on putting the sand. I would put your skimmer there, and leave the wet/dry filter area as the wet/dry.

alstitan
02-17-2008, 03:04 PM
I am not keeping it as a wet/dry so I removed the bio balls. The skimmer is very large and only fits where I have it on the drawing. My main concern right now is how to attach the plexiglass to the sump it's self and if 1/4 is ok for the baffles. I am still tossing the sand around not sure if I am going to do that or not.

Coral Pets
02-18-2008, 12:34 PM
I would not do it. The macroalgae acts like a sponge, and traps detritus. I battle with mine all the time, shaking and rinsing the detritus out of it.

reefgirl
02-18-2008, 12:44 PM
If your worried about detritus buildup you could have a filter pad before the algae and rinse/replace that every week instead of the algae.

30mini
02-18-2008, 12:49 PM
I wouldn't worry about detritus build up in the algea... that's what all the pods, bristle worms, and stars will eat!!! I would worry about detritus in a sponge, or bioballs... as these will creat nitrate traps!!

L8-NiTe
02-18-2008, 02:14 PM
The way you want to set it up looks fine,they have titanium heaters that can lay flat or anyway you want them to lay with a external controller.IMO if you set it up just how you have the drawings,add some hermits into the refugium area and some small serpent or brittle stars,or any kind of clean up crew except snails it would work great.I would just be affraid of the snails going crawling over the baffles.