PDA

View Full Version : receeding clam

JACKjack
11-12-2007, 04:53 PM
I didnt really do my homework before my wife talked me into getting one of these. I know I shouldve, but it was an impulse thing, a no no in saltwater. I brought it home and it looked great for about 3 weeks. But it kept falling over so I heard to maybe put it in the rock work. It is a maxima I believe. So I put it up there and now a few days later the insides are slowly getting smaller. The bright colorful part that comes out of the shell is comming out less and less. I moved it back to the sand, will this help? What could be wrong with it?

Coral Menagerie
11-13-2007, 09:14 AM
tell us a little more about you tank. clams require good lighting and good flow.

frankie

CinciCobra
11-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Number one, water quality is a huge issue w/ clams. Is your water down to 0ppm on nitrates?

Nuber two, what is your lighting situation? You either need ALOT of t5 wattage or metal halide to have a healthy clam.

Number three, have you fed it since owning it?

http://www.clamsdirect.com/forum/ <--- this is the clam expert advice forum - these people know clams like no one else.

Another option may be to put him in another tank if he isn't too far gone to get healthy - I for one have two clams in my tank that are growing like crazy and are healthy, and would be willing to give yours a temporary home until he is healthy. I am sure someone closer to you would probably help you out as well - can't guarantee he will live but maybe it would be worth a shot.

Good luck - it sucks losing a clam. I have lost one I bought on here because someone ripped him from his foot. The replacement clam I just bought off 30MINI is already growing after a week.

Dave12678
11-13-2007, 12:17 PM
What kind of fish do you have? Some are might pick at the clam.

JACKjack
11-14-2007, 04:52 PM
I have pc lighting. I was told by the guy that sold it to me at the swap that I should be able to keep it under those lights. He said it was a filter feeder and should be ok with the supplements I currently add. Which was agramilk, iodine, and calcium. I went to a store that didnt have anything and then to jacks and got frozen plankton and cyclops. I am going to try feeding my tank this. Does this stuff feed clams? Or was that just a sell on jacks part? I want to upgrade my lighting to MH, but I cant spend all that much on lights and a canopy. Any other thoughts would help. Thanks for the clam forum sight. Also fish-yellow tang, tobacco basslet, clown and blenny.

Dave12678
11-14-2007, 05:04 PM
Hmm for a maxima I have heard then need really bright lighting but I did have mine under PC's for a few months then went to MH. How did you acclimate the clam? What are you water parameters?

Frogfish
11-15-2007, 02:53 PM
for an inexpensive way to upgrade lighting you could try a surplus store to see if they have MH balasts and sockets. Someone told me that Mendelsons in Dayton has them for about $25 each. You could then DIY a MH lighting system relatively inexpensively.

Jeremy E
11-25-2007, 10:06 AM
Clams= Metal halides simple as that. Or you better have that PC sitting on top of the tank with the clam in about 2 inches of water. They Love DT's Oyster Eggs, Phyotoplankton, and cycolpeez all of which you can get at Monforts on Colerain Ave.