PDA

View Full Version : Propogating Shrooms

L8-NiTe
10-16-2007, 09:41 AM
Hi yesterday i went to monforts and got a couple single shrooms.
They were pretty good size at about 3 inches when open.I brung them home and got a cup of tank water ready and a plastic cutting board.I opened a brand new razor and placed the shroom on the cutting board.
I then put the tip of the razor into the mouth part of the shroom cutting from the inside to the outside edge.I did this untill i had 4 pie shaped pieces.I placed them into the cup of tank water for the time being while i took a 2 liter bottle and cut it into a 4" thick ring.I then placed it into the sandbed and filled it with rubble rock.I then placed the 4 pieces of shroom into the rubble rock and put a piece of mesh over the ring and affixed it with a rubberband.

Is this the right thing i did here?
2 of the shroom pieces feel down
between the rubble,will they be ok?
This is my first time propogating anything
and i just hope i did it all right and come out
victorious.I asked the fellow at monforts if i
should do a iodine dip for them before placing in
the tank but he said it would not benefit them like
it would if you dipped a stony coral,but make sure
theres iodine in the tank itself.Any insight would
be great.

Thanks,
Mike

lwalcott
10-16-2007, 09:49 AM
Sounds good to me. You should have 4 new shrooms in about 2 weeks or less. Keep us informed on your progress.

Coral Pets
10-16-2007, 10:35 AM
For shrooms, I just let them reproduce themselves. They "spit" out little shrooms near themselves to cover more and more area. Generally lower light and flow, and they do pretty well. Feed them too.

L8-NiTe
10-16-2007, 11:41 AM
I use phytoplex,dt;s oyster eggs and marine snow.
are these acceptable foods for the shrooms?

30mini
10-16-2007, 11:42 AM
Those are great food for the shrooms... just make sure not to overfeed!!!

L8-NiTe
10-16-2007, 03:23 PM
I have a few shrooms that i didnt know were splitting.Ibrushed my hand in the water by them and i seen underneath them baby shrooms.There was 5 under a blue shroom and 2 under a metallic green shroom.

I only use oyster eggs once a week and way less then it calls for.The phytoplex is also once a week thing.marine snow the same.I usually do one every 2-3 days.phytoplex on monday then oyster eggs on weds and marine snow on friday.Is it ok to do this?

L8-NiTe
10-16-2007, 03:24 PM
By the way mini here is some pictures of the tank i got from you.I need more rock but its doing pretty well.
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w291/L8-NiTe/DSC00146.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w291/L8-NiTe/DSC00143.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w291/L8-NiTe/DSC00123.jpg

30mini
10-16-2007, 03:28 PM
Very nice!! I'm glad it worked out for you!!

L8-NiTe
10-16-2007, 03:32 PM
I cant wait to get it full of LR.I went to monforts and they had pieces of LR that had some kind of hard corals growing on it,gorgonias,orange sponges and completely covered in every type of coraline.I never seen any rock that nice.I picked up a nice size piece,my plan is to fill in the back with dry rock,buy a bunch of big pieces of that rock from monforts to seed it and be the main display rock.

It took alot of work to set the tank up,because i've never plumbed a tank before or ran halides or anything like that,but i am completely satisfied at how it turned out.

30mini
10-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Good!! It looks good... and what's with the lighting in the first picture? Only have your tank have the halides running?

L8-NiTe
10-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Yea i dont have any actinic's,just the halides that you gave me with it.I just have 2 of the led strip lights in there to light it up blue a little bit at night.Cant afford the vho actinics i want right now.

lwalcott
10-16-2007, 07:41 PM
Tank looks good. It won't take long to fill it up.

L8-NiTe
10-16-2007, 11:00 PM
Do you see the big green gonipora on the left side mid ways up?I got that thing and then started reading they dont do well,mine seems to be getting bigger growing more skeleton and tissue.I grabbed that from jacks for 25 bucks on half price wedsnday. :)

jeffdroy
02-21-2008, 01:05 AM
what jacks does half price wed? I've shopped there a few times but never heard of half price wed...

only_mnh
05-31-2008, 10:57 AM
I grabbed that from jacks for 25 bucks on half price wedsnday. :)

Interesting. Thats the first time i'm hearing about that. Is that at specific Jack's or all of them?

L8-NiTe
06-28-2008, 07:07 PM
The one where my friend works and gets half price on all live stock the first weds of every month :)