PDA

View Full Version : Copperband Butterfly

coasterjoe
09-21-2007, 09:42 AM
I'm getting frustrated with my Joe's Juice, Stop Aiptasia, and Kalkswasser methods for killing the Aiptasia in my tank as none of these methods seem to work long term. It seems for every small one I kill I find two more in the same place a week later.

I can't get peppermint shrmip as my Flamehawk Cardinal ate all the previous ones I have tried.

So I'm thinking about a Copperband.

Current fish:
Flamehawk
Neon Dottyback
Lawnmower
4 Blue-Green

I've tried to read up on things but want to hear your experiences with the Copperband. Do they pick on other fish? Get picked on easily? Do they eat any other corals (zoos, sps, lps, mushrooms, softies?)

Thanks for the feedback.

30mini
09-21-2007, 10:21 AM
If they have sufficient aiptasia to eat, they will stay with that, and stay away from Coral. Frankie has one in his reef, and it's never picked on anything. You just have to watch butterfly's because of Ich and other diseases... they are worse than tangs when it comes to that! They won't pick on other fish, but at first, will probably be picked on. I would say that you are okay adding one

coasterjoe
09-21-2007, 11:25 AM
OK then....has anyone seen any recently at local LFS?

I'll be sure to make sure they eat brine before buying one...I've read some horror stories on RC.

Coral Menagerie
09-21-2007, 12:31 PM
yes my copperband does a good job with eating aiptasia. i have seen them at numerous lfs. call around and see who has one. also if you have a tang they are good companion fish. mine follows my orange shoulder tang around all the time.

frankie

coasterjoe
09-21-2007, 01:13 PM
I was actually thinking about getting a small yellow tang as well but read that there can be problems as the fish are "competitors".

Anybody have a Copperband with a Yellow Tang?
I really like the orange shoulder but haven't seen one at a LFS store in a long time. I could get one online for under $30 but you know how that can go...

Coral Menagerie
09-21-2007, 01:26 PM
actually i have seen orange shoulder tangs at jack's, monfort and other lfs store here lately. copperbands are not really competitors as the butterflys are mostly carivores and tangs are vegetarians mostly.

frankie

coasterjoe
09-21-2007, 01:34 PM
By competitors I think they meant grazing style fish.

Just called a LFS and they have two in stock...holding the smaller one for me to check out tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice. I haven't added any new fish for about eight months so this fella should add a little new variety to the movement of the tank...and hopefully rid it of these flippin Aiptasia nightmares.

One other question re new fish....
I have four blue-greens.....might buy another 4-6, depending on price.
What would you recommend as both a companion fish to the Copperband, and also as a chaser to get the chromis to potentially school? Tang?

Coral Menagerie
09-21-2007, 01:46 PM
here's a compatibilty chart might help.
http://cincyreef.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=3767

frankie

fishgoddess
09-22-2007, 12:39 PM
I tried adding a Copperband on 2 different occasions, and my yellow tang killed it both times....gave up on that, but now no longer have the yellow tang...only thing I can think of is that they are similar body shape.

coasterjoe
09-24-2007, 11:44 AM
My tank is now home to a beautiful Copperband and Yellow Tang. They are buddies as of right now...swim alongside each other all day long.

The Aiptasia is diminshing :D But the Copperband won't go near the huge ones....need to figure something else out as he will only touch ones 1/2" or smaller.

30mini
09-24-2007, 11:50 AM
Hit the big ones with some Joes Juice or Kalk or whatever you want. A copperband won't get ALL of the aiptasia, just the smaller ones. And remember, he will keep them under control, not get rid of them.

coasterjoe
09-25-2007, 10:13 AM
My copperband is a total beast. There is one Aiptasia left (2+inches) but he ate ALL of the other ones in the tank....easily 150+ in less than two days.

Now I'm kind of worried about feeding this guy. There is no more algae...he's seemed to have killed all my tube worms and aiptasia....what should I feed him to make sure he doesn't start wiping out my zoos? Or worse, have him die as there is nothing to sustain him.

Currently I feed a mixture of many dried foods...brine, spinach, krill...and I hang a good size clip of seaweed daily...but he doesn't seem to be eating those. Maybe he was just stuffed full from the aiptasia feast?

Docsky
09-25-2007, 11:39 AM
I feed mine San Francisco Bay frozen brine shrimp with sprlina and he loves it. he also eats frozen mysis shrimp.

Coral Menagerie
09-25-2007, 12:00 PM
i feed mine the mysis shrimp and cyclopseeze. he's doing very well.

frankie