PDA

View Full Version : 125 Gallon filter question

cjalb72
07-17-2007, 07:46 PM
I just got a great deal on a 125 gallon aquarium that is not drilled. I know Im new to this whole thing and have had a lot of questions about my 20 gallon that I just set up!!!!! My question now is, Without drilling the tank, what is the best way to filter the water?

Chris

Coral Menagerie
07-17-2007, 07:48 PM
there are many types of filters. to get water out of a non drilled tank there are overflow boxes that are used.

frankie

cjalb72
07-17-2007, 07:57 PM
I have heard that overflow boxes can be a pain

30mini
07-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Yes, they can be a pain, that's why I would drill it! It'll save you a LOT of time and hassle to just get it drilled and build a calfo style overflow!

cjalb72
07-17-2007, 09:29 PM
where do i get it done and what do u recomend I use for an overflow?

lwalcott
07-17-2007, 11:43 PM
I used an overflow box for around 10 years with no problems. Drilled is the best but I wouldn't worry if you had to use a non drilled tank with an overflow box. They are easy to setup and use.

30mini
07-18-2007, 07:51 AM
I could drill it for you, as I have experience drilling several tanks. Also, I'm sure that there are a few others on here that would be more than happy to do it, or guide you through it!

wood
07-18-2007, 04:49 PM
Don't drill it. You are then compromising the tank. What kind of livestock do you plan to keep? Fish only... get the big fluval, or an ehim self contained wet dry. theres no over flow boxes w/ that and it works great I have two of them. or if your doing corals, hang on back refugium w/ a smaller fluval or ehim. Or theres always two emperer 400's. hang on the back. I highly suggest not drilling. Not worth the risk. to me anyways.

30mini
07-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Don't drill it. You are then compromising the tank.
Yes, you are, but then why would so many people drill for closed loops and such? I have drilled a 150, a 120, a 55, and a 29, and all have not broken or shown signs of any kind of stress at all! If done properly, there really is no reason that the tank will fail!

toastman
07-18-2007, 07:58 PM
Drill it, you wont be unhappy, just drill to or three drains on the back of the tank about 3" down from the water level, put on your bulkheads, insert a 90 degree elbow turned up, insert the right size pipe to extend up to the water surface, cut a piece of gutter mesh and roll it up to fit in the pipe, on the backside, put a T fitting standing up so you can extend a pipe above your waterlevel on the back, put a cap on the pipe at the top, drill a hole for a vent, and plumb it to your sump...will work great

wood
07-18-2007, 08:42 PM
I'm not trying to be ugly, but why drill when the ehim works just as good. I error at the side of caution usually, and my personal opinion wouldn't drill.

CinciCobra
07-19-2007, 01:12 AM
Honestly, a drilled tank is almost fail safe.

I have a non drilled tank w/ an overflow, and I have tested and tested over and over again to ensure there are no failures w/ a power outage. I use the correct aqualifter pump on the overflow and there are no troubles no bubbles.

I wouldn't stress either way, but drilling it will be cheaper in the long run - you will have over $100.00 in the overflow and whatnot when it is said and done.

pman0455
07-19-2007, 07:57 AM
I would drill it. Then you instead of having all kinds of stuff hanging down inside your tank. (i.e. hang on skimmer overflow boxes things like that you put them all down in your sump. I have a 120gal. reef ready that I have had over a year that has four 1" holes and one 2" hole and have never had a problem.

While your at drilling holes you should put a closed loop on your tank. I'm very happy with mine.

CinciCobra
07-19-2007, 01:01 PM
I am sure all of this is foreign to him. You oughta take a look at a few people's tanks and see the set-ups in person. I live in Anderson Twp and am about 20 minutes from florence. You are more than welcome to come check out my tank anytime and see the overflow / sump setup. Just send me a pm and we can set up a time. I will break down the cost of everything on mine to ya and let you know the downfalls of an overflow (ie algae).

Joe

Scott Wilson
07-24-2007, 08:15 PM
Drill it I have 10 holes in the back of a 90 and it is doing great.

You can easily make a corner over flow with a flat sheet of glass. silicone it in the corner to forma triangle and drill your drain hole part way down on the back wall.

You can also get Wet pet to use there professional graphite powder wed drill. PJ correct me if I'm wrong I think they charge $20 to drill one hole.

Scott