PDA

View Full Version : blessing or curse???

mr_lock02
05-16-2007, 10:20 PM
I recently got bought some LR and got some hitch hikers. Great I thought when I seen all these extra tiny critters swimming about. Extra food for the fish. Then I spotted a tiny sand sifting starfish, and have since seen about 6 of them. Will they survive to adulthhood or will someone eat them? But tonight I seen a white brittle starfish. It is about the size of a dime with its arms fully extended. Now I have heard these creatures are nasty and when they get large enough can eat fish. While they sleep the star would grab them or snails or anything else. Is that true, and would they even make it to being that big or will something eat them?

Coral Menagerie
05-16-2007, 10:24 PM
the sand sifting stars will eat critters in the sand bed but won't eat fish and if it's a white brittle star those are good for detrius clean up and won't eat fish. the green brittle stars are the ones that get large and eat fish i beleive.

frankie

Aquarium Guy
05-16-2007, 11:07 PM
I have hundreds of the little white brittle star fish. They are harmless and are good for your tank.

mr_lock02
05-17-2007, 02:55 PM
Sweet. Thanks I like hearing good news and love all the little extra critters that come with LR.

only_mnh
07-15-2007, 02:31 AM
Nice.... I got a little Xenia as a hitchhiker on a live rock. I love it.

only_mnh
07-25-2007, 11:18 PM
Upon closer inspection, that turned out to be a "Kenya Tree", and not a Xenia. But its still nice!! It lookis like it's developing some tiny polyps... i'm excited.