PDA

View Full Version : I need sump ideas

Reefs R Us
01-30-2007, 05:33 PM
I have decided to get a 55 gal. with overflow. I was wanting some ideas on what I should be looking to buy, like pump, plumbing, etc. I know i should fit the largest tank I can in the stand, but I will use a 20 gal. I have not purchased anything yet, but would like to get it all on the same trip. Any advice would be of great help.

Thanks

Frogfish
01-30-2007, 09:56 PM
best advise... be ready to go back to the hardware store 3-4 times!!!

I can NEVER do a plumbing project the first time around, no matter how careful I am in planning.

What are you going to use the sump for? I use mine to hide equipment, provide recirculation flow, supplimental filtration (filter bag and carbon)

You need to figure out what you are going to do with the sump and then plan out if it will all fit.

With a 20 you probably won't have room for a refugium, so I would look to have a place to put a filter sock on your overflow pipe, some baffles to remove air bubbles before the return section and your return pump. Then will you put other equipment in there? Heater, protien skimmer, etc.

This is a thread on another board for my sump project. http://www.reef-visions.com/forums/inde ... ic=1579.15 (http://www.reef-visions.com/forums/index.php?topic=1579.15)

Reefs R Us
01-30-2007, 10:40 PM
I would like to use the sump to hide most, if not all, the equipment. I really don't my sump to be just as big as my show tank, this is why I have chosen the 20. I am entertaining the idea of a bigger one, but not unless I really need to. I guess I need to set down and draw up some plans. What type of pump rating should I be looking for?

Coral Menagerie
01-30-2007, 10:47 PM
it all depends on what your planning on putting in your tank. softies, lps, sps, fish only.

frankie

Bluewater
01-30-2007, 11:04 PM
Ok try to make this short hum.....Ok First off find out what you are going to put in your display tank. Be advised it is not smart to go broad on this pick which kind of corals that you like the most and base your whole system on it. This will also tell you what size pump to get. I would recommend minimum about 750 gal/hr this will give you about 10x the size of the tank in flow. I would recommend a 30 gal long for the sump it is shorter then a 20 and a bit longer and will give you more room for the skimmer (dont skimp on the skimmer). Also you can get acrylic from home depot, lowe's etc. For some baffles in it to control your bubbles if any from the return and the skimmer. Plus depending on how you do it will give you other areas to filtration and if needs be places to put like phos remover and the such. It will also give you a larger area for more or other pumps if you wanted to add them and room for you heater as well. If you are wanting to put in a fuge I recommend that you use at least a 30 gal long or larger.

Reefs R Us
01-30-2007, 11:04 PM
mostly softies. zoo's, shrooms, etc... why would this matter?

Bluewater
01-30-2007, 11:05 PM
Softies zoos and shrooms dont need the water flow that you are going to have to produce for sps.

Bluewater
01-30-2007, 11:28 PM
Yeah the only reason I said at ten times is due to if you used a 20 gal tank due to the size of the pump/sump ratio. My 110 is just getting set back up and it is going to have 50x turnover in it, if that tells you anything. If you can put the biggest sump that you can under that stand which may be the 40 long depending on the stand.

30mini
01-31-2007, 10:15 AM
Like Bevis said, there is no such thing as too big of a sump! I'm planning out my 55 gal system now, and I'm going to be using a 100 gal stock tank as my sump, and a 40 gal as a fuge. The more water the better IMO!!

Rungeg
01-31-2007, 10:48 AM
I have been loking into this for a while

http://reefvideos.com/

first row second movie

01-31-2007, 11:04 AM
That was a very intresting video, great find.

Frogfish
01-31-2007, 11:33 AM
If you are putting the sump in your stand, then I do think you can go too big if there is no room to get things in and out of the sump. Remember you need to have easy access to the equipment in your sump, or you will never clean it.

Bluewater
01-31-2007, 04:36 PM
Well frog sounds like you are a man of experience.....do you clean your tanks lol.

Frogfish
01-31-2007, 09:24 PM
rarely cleaned my skimmer as it was a PITA to take in and out of the sump. In fact the last time I took it out for cleaning.... it stayed out!

I am currently skimmerless, but looking for the right one to fit my needs and go as an external

Bluewater
02-01-2007, 02:54 PM
Well just yesterday I saw a really nice external octopus.