PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy Water

bala
12-01-2006, 08:25 AM
A good friend of mine set up a 30 gallon fresh water tank around a month ago, he said for the past four days his water has been cloudy. With the vast knowledge in this fourm I thought someone might be able to give me some ideas on what to do to clear this up. TIA

30mini
12-01-2006, 08:30 AM
Is it cloudy, like white cloudy, or a greenish tint cloudy? Either way, they make a chemical that you can drop into the water that should be able to clear that up. Just make sure to read the directions on the bottle, b/c you don't want to overdose it! But, also, have him do a water change, and try to get out as much of that cloudiness as possible!

toastman
12-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Please dont add chemicals to clear up the water....its a new tank, its going throught new tank syndrome, while the bacterias grow to be able to handle the biological load. Do a 25% water change, one time a week, cut back feeding, remember the fish only need what can be eaten in less than 2 minutes, if its not gone by then you overfed. In the wild fish will go for months at a time without eating, so dont worry about the fish, on a new tank I would only feed about every 2nd or 3rd day and only once a day.....other then that be patient. You can add activated carbon to the filters to help clear up the water in the mean time, but adding a chemical to clarify the water will only mask the problem, and create others. Remember to only leave the lights on for about 8-10 hours too.....