PDA

View Full Version : Tank Repair

ohmedic
11-08-2006, 08:23 PM
I just aquired a 90 gallon used tank, and the bottom trim piece cracked and fell off. Is there anyway to get a new piece, or can I simply epoxy it back together then to the tank? Is it even needed? tank does hold water but I am going to reseal it.

Eric

Rungeg
11-08-2006, 08:55 PM
If you do decide to gle it make sure it doesn't bow when you dfill it up. You can glue it together or call House of tropics on river road because I know they sell the pieces. Beware if you do go in there. I have never really checked but I here they can be pieces of work.

ohmedic
11-08-2006, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the info. I might just check out house of tropicals next time I am down there.

Eric

ohmedic
11-08-2006, 10:00 PM
I was at house of tropicals a month or so ago, noticed all of what you mentioned about there tank conditions.

I am talking about the the trim piece that rounds around the bottom perimeter or the tank and is either black or wood grain in color.

ohmedic
11-08-2006, 10:14 PM
thats cool. next time I am in cincy I will have to stop by there and get one.

Thanks

crazyelece
11-09-2006, 12:11 AM
Do you know what manufacturer the tank is, I am pretty sure it makes a difference on the larger tanks? I know my 120 was different between the brands. Also Dave at All About Pets may have or can order the frames and IMO is better to deal with than House of Tropicals.

ohmedic
11-09-2006, 07:58 AM
not sure of the brand. I can tell you it is 1/2" thick glass and ways a ton. anyway on finding out what brand it is? do they usually stamp stuff on the tank somewhere?

andrewr
11-09-2006, 09:01 AM
well if it has a glass center brace i would say that it is an oceanic. if it has corner overflows i would say it is probably a perfecto and if it has the megaflows i would say it is probably a AGA. outside of that I have never heard a way to ID them. has anyone else?

ohmedic
11-09-2006, 12:02 PM
the tank does not have overflows, was drilled for a bulkhead in the upper left conner though. no center braces.

ohmedic
11-09-2006, 03:04 PM
Think I am going to go ahead and order one, I will check out all about pets, I would rather buy from a local store than the web, but I did find a place on the web that sells frames
http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=43

not to bad on the prices not sure of shipping though.

thanks to all for the advice, greatly appreciated.

crazyelece
11-09-2006, 06:25 PM
If you measure the openings on the top for glass lids you can find out that way. On my 120 AGA lids were too long one dimension and too short the other; then Perfecto lids fit like a glove. You can usually spot Oceanic from a mile away - much cleaner and better quality build.

As to ordering them from the web, shipping will kill you as the size makes them an oversize package wich adds $40 or so to the frieght charge. I am currently trying to get Aquatics and Exotics to get me a perfecto hex frame (Dave's distributer failed to get it done). If you get a local shop to order it for you there is no shipping charge and the price is much easier to swallow. I think mine is about $25. From what I have gathered AGA is fairly easy to get ahold of (especially for a more standard tank with the 90 gal) and Perfecto is more of a pain. I have talked to the Perfecto people though so I think it is mainly the distributer that is the problem.

Rungeg
11-09-2006, 08:34 PM
The only readon I said House of Tropics is because they stock them in the store.

ohmedic
11-10-2006, 08:58 AM
that is diffently a plus if they stock them. thanks for all the advice. greatly appreciated