PDA

View Full Version : cycles of coarals

msnydes
11-06-2006, 09:56 PM
do most corals go through cycles where they kind of regenerate themselves and not look so good for a while. I just had a toadstool leather do this and it seems as if my plate coral has not opened much lately and today my colt coral just closed down(literally just watched it over the past hour). Everything else in the tank is doing awesome (including all of my levels) and my toadstool leather looks better than ever. Just curious. Any help is appreciated.

toastman
11-06-2006, 09:57 PM
I have definitely noticed cycles in many of my corals, especially the soft corals.....not so much in the sps, and lps

Rungeg
11-06-2006, 10:11 PM
I have only ever noticed it in my soft corals. Although when you lose an acro you wish it was a cycle.

Jeremy E
11-06-2006, 11:03 PM
Softies used to be my alarm in my tank for something is wrong. That's why I like them. Here are a few things that could be the culprit.
1. Water Change.
2. Iodine these guys love it Lugols from Kent
3. Good Skimmer pulling out some crap.
4. Run carbon as well.
5. Some increase water flow would help.
6. Check your parameters. Might be to high in something.

andrewr
11-06-2006, 11:31 PM
plates can kind of go through cycles as well. i have read many posts and experiences only 1 time where they will bleach totally out and look dead and then come back to life--its odd. I agree with jeremy that sometimes iodine can be the culprit but it can also be dangerous to overdose it as it drives the ORP in the tank to danger high levels if not monitored. but i have noticed that softies do have cycles most likely related to cellular respiration if all of your levels are in line

MattLawsonPhoto
11-07-2006, 10:34 AM
I agree with Jeremy also. I can always tell the level of phosphate in the water by the condition of my Kenya Tree Leather. It starts shriveling as phosphates rise.

msnydes
11-07-2006, 08:18 PM
If my phosphates are too high (i will check tomorrow, my LFS was out of the test) how do I lower them.

Rungeg
11-07-2006, 09:31 PM
You can get some quick fix pads of phos remover or phosban. A phosban reactor is pretty cheap$45 with a pump. Do you use tap water?

msnydes
11-07-2006, 09:41 PM
yes I use tap water

Rungeg
11-07-2006, 09:46 PM
The problem with tap water is the fact that you are putting a lot of stuff into your tank that you shouldn't. This is one of those do as I say not as I do. I sometimes use tap water, but we use a cistern, not a public water hookup. I always use Kalkwasser to precipitate out some of teh stuff. If you can possibly do it I would get an RO/DI unit. Russ sells them at a good price if that is not an option try buying distilled water or maybe if you live close to someone on here you could get some from them

lwalcott
11-07-2006, 09:48 PM
It's wierd how soft corals can look like their dead for several weeks to only come back and look like the healthiest in the tank.

msnydes
11-07-2006, 09:53 PM
I added a new topic (adding to cycles of corals) where I put pictures of what my coral looks like. I just looked at it a little closer and it looks extremely sad but it also looks like it may have a layer peeling off like my Toadstool leather did.

lwalcott
11-07-2006, 09:54 PM
If so then that is a good sign. Hope everything turns out OK.