PDA

View Full Version : Fading Zoo's

1badbrd
08-07-2006, 04:01 PM
they keep multipling, but the color fasdes on some heads.

What are the requirements for food and supplements?

What would get the color to brighen up?

30mini
08-07-2006, 04:11 PM
How much light do you have them under? Where are they at in the tank? Those may have affects as well as an iodine supplement.

Scott Wilson
08-07-2006, 04:23 PM
water quality lighting and good flow. Good water changes adding iodine and trace elements will help out.

1badbrd
08-08-2006, 11:33 AM
they are under (2) 250watt Reeflux 10k

Some are at the bottom and some are in the middle and some are near the top. The ones middle/top are the ones fading the worst. The others are not just as bright, since i moved them around, but the new ones are doing the worst. they are not loosing size just color.

I do 10% water changes weekly and have mag 9 powering a 90 gallon with (2) seio 1100 at each end.

I do not add anything except for purple up every couple of days.

What supplements should i be looking at?

30mini
08-08-2006, 11:43 AM
Iodine

Charlie
08-08-2006, 12:14 PM
With the water changes that you are doing along with the addition of purple up (which is adding iodine), I would think iodine is not an issue here. IMO I would test to see where you are at before any additions.

1badbrd
08-09-2006, 09:20 AM
what should i test for

MattLawsonPhoto
08-09-2006, 10:23 AM
At minimum, you should test for

Amonia,
Nitrate
Nitrite
PH
Phosphate

1badbrd
08-09-2006, 10:43 AM
i do test for all the above except phosphates
all are in good numbers except for nitrates, for when i mess with the sand of refugium i stir up the water and the nitrates jump to around 10ppm for a couple of days.

MattLawsonPhoto
08-09-2006, 12:15 PM
What salt brand are you using?

Charlie
08-09-2006, 12:22 PM
What I was refering to in my post was that if you do not have a test kit for something it is best not to dose i.e. iodine. To much of something is not always a good thing.

1badbrd
08-10-2006, 06:18 PM
i agree but testing for all that gets expensive doesn't it.

Charlie
08-11-2006, 07:35 AM
That's why I don't like adding alot of additives. A good maintenance plan and regular water changes with a good salt mix will take care of most tanks. Once you have a fairly regular schedule test will not need to be done as frequently thus less cost.

Scott Wilson
08-11-2006, 10:16 AM
That's why I don't like adding alot of additives. A good maintenance plan and regular water changes with a good salt mix will take care of most tanks. Once you have a fairly regular schedule test will not need to be done as frequently thus less cost.
hmmmm ;)

MattLawsonPhoto
08-11-2006, 10:52 AM
Charle, your salt mix is extremely important, especially if you aren't adding additives. My zoos are extremely happy with Reef Crystals. What are you using?

Kris Zmurk
02-10-2007, 05:19 PM
I hate to hijack your post, but I am having trouble with my zoos now. I have one colony that you can pick up and throw around the room and they wont fade or shrivel up. But one colony has been closed for a week and seems to be loosing polyps, while another (eagle eyes) opened once since I got it and hasn't since. HAve not noticed anything bothering them. All water parameters check out fine. and use Instant Ocean salt. What could this be? or they just going through a cycle?
Everything else is looking great.

Thanks Kris

andrewr
02-10-2007, 05:47 PM
I would look very very closely for a zoo that just doesnt quite look like a zoo, it sounds like you might have a nudibranch and they are hard to see, have you added any zoos recently? also look for little snails that may be wedged in the colony Kris HTH

1badbrd
02-11-2007, 09:01 AM
it hard to tell, i have recently changed my sump to the basement and although the water parameters look good i still find them to slowly fade away while other zoa's are fine, unfortuntaly its my eagle eye zoa's that are fading and some neon green zoa's.

i have been looking for nudibranch but nothing sticks out the only thing i see that i didn't buy were some retarded looking starfish. They are mutiplying way too fast for me to pick them out. Although i have not seen them at the sight of damage, they are the only things that i can see that i do not want.

So i'm crossing my fingers that i get my sump design final and RO system hookedup and pray that the zoa's don't fade away totaly

Kris Zmurk
02-17-2007, 10:22 AM
my green ones are slowly coming back, however, the eagle eyes are completely gone. :cry: