PDA

View Full Version : Time to get my lighting right....Help me out....

Boostd2valve
07-29-2006, 01:01 AM
Hey reefers...well after seeing some of the members tanks, I realized i need to work on my lighting..here is what i have.(150g 6ft)..I have 2-175 watt MH with 10k bulbs on each end of my tank, i have no clue what brand ballast i have, as they are black and look to be painted, there are 2, 1 for each light..I homemade some reflectors, which i dont know if it was a good idea or not, but it did its job...I have a coralife 48" powercompact aqualight in the middle with actinic and white bulbs(4x65 i think)....well the ends of my tank are pretty bright...the middle is alittle dimmer...I am really wanting something to really bring out some colors in the tank, i think im needing more actinic where the MH or something, should i buy a real reflector, or change to a different bulb, or even do away with the PC and run another MH...any suggestions or setups to look at would be great as i am here to learn and know most of you are pros!.id rather get some opinions then to just start buying stuff i dont need..thanks in advance for any info...

lwalcott
07-29-2006, 11:05 AM
On a 6' tank I think you need the 3rd MH in the middle. I run 2-10k's on the ends and a 20k in the middle. I also have 2 6' blue actinic bulbs that I rarely used.

07-29-2006, 06:33 PM
Definately take Lonnie's advice and get another 175 for the middle. Then at least get parabolic retro-kit reflectors.

If you need more color, the new Ushio 175W 14K is supposed to be nearly as bright as most 250W 14K Mogule based lamps - but still has decent blue color.

If you add a halide, 3 decent reflectors, and upgrade lamps, you will need to acclimate your corals to the light, because you're easily more than doubling the light in the tank - probably more like triple.