PDA

View Full Version : Mushroom leather and Clowns

philman
04-14-2006, 03:22 PM
My new Mushroom (first couple of softies ever) did real nice for a couple days, now one of my two Sabie Clowns has fallen madly in love with it and now has an apartment occupied sign on it. The problem is, the leather is now always closed, never open. I assume he does not care for the amount of rent he is getting :( .

The question, is this going to crash or kill the leather. If so, anything I can do about it?

todd
04-14-2006, 05:18 PM
Sad issue and also bittersweet but it depends on the coral; i would guess it will not make it because it was truely and completely acclimated thus the clown would introduce even more stress to a stressed animal. Are we talking a discosoma mushroom anemone or like a soft elephant ear type sacrophyon that looks like a mushroom? The latter would stand a better chance, the former might eventually swrivel up and die.

philman
04-14-2006, 05:44 PM
Yes, an elephant ear type. Its not an anemone

maddyfish
04-14-2006, 06:29 PM
Is it big enough to eat the clown?

philman
04-14-2006, 07:07 PM
No, I would not think so, the clown is about 1.5". The mushroom is about 3 maybe 4" across when open.

I sitting here trying to decide if the clown is worth it. I have 2, and then seem to be picking at each other anyway. I had originally bought them to cycle the tank, so they were always "expendable". I wondering what would happen if I took the one that is camping out and left the other.

I don't think I am ready for a true anemone yet, I don't know if that would "pull" him away from the mushroom anyway.

Just so we are on the same page. Image attached

philman
04-14-2006, 07:21 PM
This brings up a related question. Have 2 two clowns for about 2 months now. The slightly large one, seems to be dominate. And seems to chance the other a bunch. Are they acting as a pair, or not?

todd
04-14-2006, 07:56 PM
That coral looks like your standard toadstool/sacrophyton and doesn't eat anything but plankton and sunlight ...It may eventually get used to being beat up on--I had a colt coral that hosted a pair for years but eventually the colts began to die off ( wasn't for sure why) but the Colt always opened despite the clowns. It's a different animal than a toadstool however.
Concerning the pair---the larger would assume the role of the female and the smaller male. They may eventually pair up--I think mine began that same way as well...

Dave
04-14-2006, 08:36 PM
Two things you can try, first move the leather. Clowns are territorial and it may not follow. If it does then get an open mesh basket and place over the leather for a little while it may discourage it enough to find a new home.

large_mouth_bass_1_each
04-14-2006, 10:15 PM
I think leathers go thru this sort of thing, also they really need direct flow from a power head, that always makes them open.

philman
04-14-2006, 10:28 PM
OK, I moved him. Clown moved too :argue2: Its in a heavier flow, will see what happens.

thatg33kgirl
07-06-2010, 08:51 AM
OK, I know this post is old, but if you still haven't had any luck, check out this article: http://www.garf.org/39/fish/pict.html. Hope everything worked out for ya!