PDA

View Full Version : this could work

Coral Menagerie
04-14-2006, 07:47 AM
---------- Forwarded Message ----------

m
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 7:47 PM
Subject: Gas War

Friday, March 31, 2006 5:35 PM Subject: Fw: Gas War (good idea) PLEASE READ!!

GAS WAR - an idea that WILL work This was originally sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. It came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Halliburton. It ' s worth your consideration.

Join the resistance!!!! I hear we are going to hit close to $4.00 a gallon by next summer and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action.
Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea.

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.

BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read on and join with us! By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.79 for regular unleaded in my town. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace..... not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out at this point....
keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people.

I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us sends it to at least ten more (30 x 10 =3D 300) ...
and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10
=3D 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers. If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION >>>>PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am, so trust me on this one.)

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!!

I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you?

Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. I suggest that we not buy from EXXON/MOBIL UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN.

THIS CAN REALLY WORK.

04-14-2006, 09:29 AM
Sorry... That's an urban legend, and an does not address the econimic reality between oil companies and consumers.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp

A boycott of a couple of brands of gasoline won't result in lower overall prices. Prices at all the non-boycotted outlets would rise due to the temporarily limited supply and increased demand, making the original prices look cheap by comparison. The shunned outlets could then make a killing by offering gasoline at its "normal" (i.e., pre-boycott) price or by selling off their output to the non-boycotted companies, who will need the extra supply to meet demand. The only person who really gets hurt in this proposed scheme is the service station operator, who has almost no control over the price of gasoline.

The only practical way of reducing gasoline prices is through the straightforward means of buying less gasoline, not through a simple and painless scheme of just shifting where we buy it. The inconvenience of driving less is a hardship too many people apparently aren't willing to endure, however.

large_mouth_bass_1_each
04-14-2006, 01:02 PM
this is just another chain letter as well, just as bad as a pyramid scam. they do nothing but make people think they are doing something....

andrewr
04-14-2006, 03:26 PM
bevis dont be ridiculous. i cant stand all of these mooreish conspiracies that Bush is in bed with the towel heads. i think that crap has come from the oil companies so that they can save face in the front and butt fu** us in the other end. that makes more sense to me than have The President of the United States in cahoots with islamofascists

maddyfish
04-14-2006, 06:24 PM
We need more small independently owned stations to help control the price. Most of the independents when out of buisness in the late 90's due to the EPA's draconian double hulled underground tank rules. When I was a kid I wrenched at a small shop that had 2 pumps, he would always undercut the local big name by 2-5 cents. Soon after the big name would match price. With no small competition, price adjustments down are very very slow.

rrings
04-14-2006, 07:42 PM
ROFL...I work for a company that cleans up UST releases. Those "draconian" rules have done more to stop gasoline getting into your sources of drinking water than you may want to believe.

You cannot imagine the number of pre-98 tanks that leaked thousands of gallons of gas into the groundwater. I have taken samples at stations where there was 3 FEET of gasoline sitting on top of the groundwater in a well. I have pulled old single wall steel tanks out of the ground that look like someone shot them up with a shotgun. This isn't some theory like global warming, this is gasoline, in your drinking water. I suppose they should have let the old steel wall tanks stay, I mean come on, leukemia isn't THAT bad.

Additionally, the major oils (BP, ExxonMobil, ConocoPhillips, Valero, Royal Dutch Shell) don't own too many stations anymore. That changes in different parts of the country, but for the most part the stations are franchises for lack of a better term. Besides, how is an independent going to cut costs significantly? Do you think Jim's service station owns a refinery? Can they negotiate a bulk price better than the corner BP that sells 100000 gallons a month? The jobbers (independent stations) still buy their gasoline from the big guys. They don't have a choice.

The top five refiners (the same 5 I named above) control 50+% of refining capacity in the US. The top ten control 86%. 10 years ago the top ten controlled 50% and the top 5 33%. Consolidation of the industry has hurt consumers. BP bought Amoco and it was on. Everyone rushed to strengthen their position.

Once the big boys had control of the majority of the market they squeezed out the independent refiners. Between 96 and 02 we lost, as a country, nearly 1 million barrels a day production from refinery shutdowns. 97% of that lost capacity was at independent refineries

Before anyone even brings it up, the oil industry has only applied for 1 permit to install a new refinery in the 25 year period from 75-00. Denying permits is not the reason new refineries have not been built. The reason is that it made no sense for big oil to build a refinery when they didn't really need one. For that matter, what is the incentive to build one now? Lets see, gas at an all-time high price, we are making record profits....why should we spend a few billion on a new refinery again?

So, why is oil so expensive? VERY simple. All hell has broken loose in the area of the world where most of the oil is. Iran is making nukes, Iraq is a few pipe bombs from all out civil war and a terrorist group just took control of the Palestinian government. If you were to predict the availability of oil in the next few years....well it doesn't look good.

So, we should drill in ANWR right? Ok great, lets do it. That will be great because that will provide a whopping 590 days worth of oil at full consumption.

andrewr
04-14-2006, 08:32 PM
what about alaska though? that would supply years. when are they going to start using shale to make oil. i thought that it became economically feasible at like 46 bucks a barrel. we have mountains made out of shale. come on we need to do something for the oil and figure out an alternative fuel source i.e. hydrogen or ethanol i dont know something besides sweet crude

large_mouth_bass_1_each
04-14-2006, 10:23 PM
even if they had an alternative fuel source, they would keep it to themselves....their having to much fun bleeding us dry for every dime they can get.

andrewr
04-15-2006, 12:26 AM
so the oil companies are just biding their time for americans to be pennyless...how stupid is that? or is the real answer: if gas is 3 bucks a gallon and you had a crapload of light sweet crude wouldnt you want to rush the market to rake in the cash? of course you would. but without the refining capacity (as rrings so elequently pointed out) i dont care how much crude you have you couldnt process it to get it to the consumer. its like using a hammerhead pump with a straw as a drain...aint gonna work! does anyone know what MBTE is? its the additive that was in the summer blend last year, which was outlawed this year. cant use it! damn feds!! all bush's fault and those greedy oil companies.....oh yeah screw Halliburton and let the illegals in! heres a joke for you....maybe we should have the illegals figure out an alternative energy policy because it is a job that Americans wont do! lol :lol:

large_mouth_bass_1_each
04-15-2006, 11:10 AM
People...Im here to tell ya its like this....

All the electronics that u will see in the next 15y has already been invented. It will be spoon fed to ya one piece at a time. Not just start selling u the good stuff, they are going to sell u the obsolete first, then keep doing that year after year till you have been bled dry. While they do that they will continue to invent new stuff. These ipods and mp3 players and so on your seeing hit the market, well they have been on the shelf for years!

Now tell me why you would think a new energy source would be any different????? They still have all that oil to sell ya down in texas, alaska, and over seas....and don't tell me the government isn't getting a big chunk of the proceeds from that either.

It's kind of like we all have an I.V. in our arm, and the government decides when to turn up the flow!

andrewr
04-15-2006, 01:03 PM
bevis--i dont know if bush is getting proceeds or not but neither do you--for sure that is

large mouth--if the government is getting such good proceeds then why are they giving so much money to the oil companies in subsubties?

lwalcott
04-15-2006, 02:04 PM
Ever heard the statement "You scratch my back and I'll scratch your back". :wink:

large_mouth_bass_1_each
04-15-2006, 04:20 PM
they give the government proceeds, the government allows them to rip us off by raising the prices 500% more than it should be...

Its the same principle as the MOB runs on, u want to do business on our turf, u pay..

The government is governed(now theres a metaphor) by only one process....GREED!!!!

Once u got that figured...the rest really is so easy its pointless! Anytime they do something, just say, "Now how can they profit from this?" And ur on ur way to a quick answer.

They been crying were running out of oil for as long as I've been alive, now we are using more than ever and I don't see anything showing me where low on it...just them getting rich. Then the government costing us even more money trying to look like they are concerned about pollution...well I fail to see anything being done about that either.

Have you seen the shows on tv about the new public crisis? The public schools man, look so bad the kids aren't learning anything and don't want to go. Some schools are so bad the buildings aren't safe to walk thru. Then there are other schools that just have everything you could ask for. They look like Ivy league colleges.

Well anyway you cut it, the kids are our future leaders, if the government doesn't care about that, then they don't care about anything but putting money in their pocket. Stop investing in the kids, why bother investing in anything else in the country!

What it really looks like to me is, in the 60's AND 70'S iT was racism...today its CLASSISM.

Dave
04-15-2006, 07:35 PM
If there is a such shortage of gas, then why have I not heard of one gas station that did not have gas?

The buyers buy on speculation as to what will happen weeks in advance. There is and always will be a threat of something happening to the supply.

I say wait till it actually hapens then I will be OK with paying higher gas prices. I shouldn't have to pay those prices now.

andrewr
04-15-2006, 10:17 PM
i say we stop importing gas from the middle east. i will pay 10 bucks a gallon to watch those assholes starve

toastman
04-15-2006, 11:02 PM
Yikes, I dont check out this part of the forums too much, but woohooo....you guys have some trust issues....lol... I think the whole government is corrupt and we will all be riding bikes soon, just like they do in Tiawan....at least when that happens we wont be the fattest nation in the world anymore...heheh..... I love to read the banter.... for the record, I love Bush...the President, and the Beer! :D

large_mouth_bass_1_each
04-16-2006, 12:00 AM
YOU LOVE BUSH?????? PLEASE SEND ME UR COORDINATES! :twisted:

andrewr
04-16-2006, 02:04 PM
i like bush too, not everything that he does but a lot of it

04-16-2006, 07:08 PM
If you guys really want to be irked at the whole fuel situation, check out what the Europeans are doing with diesel...

They're technology is soon to be illegal in the US because our version of diesel has too much sulfer in it to pass federal emissions mandates, and the new reformulated diesel will not work as well in the Euro motors. We could have some sweet turbodiesels, but it will never happen here.

The British version of the BMW 330d with manual transmission gets 43.5 miles per UK gallon. With the difference between UK and US gallons (1 gal UK = 1.2 gal US), that's 52 mpg on this side of the pond!!

And it still does 0-62 mph in 6.7 seconds

The US 330i gets 30 mpg and 0-60 in 6.1. I'd gladly switch to a slightly slower car to get 52 mpg... especially since gas and diesel cost about the same, but it's not available in the US because the US market avoids diesel like the plague, and it will be illegal in a year or so anyway, so it's not worth BMW's time.

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/pricesandspe ... peKey=Z3SM (http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/pricesandspecifications_detail/?seriesID=3&bodyID=3LI&modelTypeKey=Z3SM)

large_mouth_bass_1_each
04-16-2006, 07:21 PM
I had a diesel car years ago, man that thing was real dirty, I was finding soot on the interior, evertime i started it, 2 black spots would be left on the driveway. im surprised i don't have black lung disease today.

By the way what is metro going to do then??? or is this just for cars?

04-16-2006, 10:49 PM
I had a diesel VW Rabbit in college. 52 whopping horsepower, but 52 mpg. The dechnology is much better today... no noise, no soot. Just gobs more torque and better fuel efficency per gallon than gas.

If not, check out Capstone Micro Turbine Generators. They have a 2x60kW sets that replaces the engine of a bus and puts electric motors on the drivetrain.

http://www.capstoneturbine.com/caseStudies/hevCase1.asp