PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Question: MH, T5s or PC?

laruble
03-18-2006, 02:32 PM
I need some help. What I have is a 65g tank. I currently have two 96 watt power compacts lights. The other day at the LFS I was told the power compacts are junk and I will need to replace them with MHs or T5s. Is this true? Can someone explain?

:?

large_mouth_bass_1_each
03-18-2006, 03:00 PM
bless the LFS that told u that. Realy its the best setup to grow things out and keep what u want as u grow in the hobby. CF will do the job for softies and some LPS. Bulbs need replacement every 6 months though to keep the light right. I think some give it a year.

Frogfish
03-18-2006, 04:21 PM
before anyone can honestly answer your question, we have to know what you are currently keeping in the tank and what your future plans for your tank are?

If you are keeping a fish only tank, then they are just fine if not overkill! If you want softies you are probably ok. If you want sps, clams, anemones you may or may not be ok.

So let us know what you have and want and we can advise you appropriately.

03-18-2006, 11:13 PM
T5HO lamps (plus reflector) are more efficient than Power Compacts mostly due to reflector design for a single tube lamp. But PC's still work reliably and put out enough light to keep many corals.

Worst case, depending on the coral you want, you can add more lights to suppliment your existing setup. Unless you're willing to take a loss by selling the PC's and buying a new T5HO setup.