PDA

View Full Version : CG&E's 30% hike in Electric

large_mouth_bass_1_each
01-25-2006, 07:53 AM
Well it's 1-25-06, I have not heard one person say anything about the rate hike on a Kwh. So I thought I'd start a Piss and Moan thread to see what everybody is thinking( I like those kind of threads, a character flaw yes, but probably caused by SBD). I guess everybody has just taken it on the chin, some of us have more than one! LOL Here it's just going to have to be more hotdog's and less steak!

Guess it shows our devotion to reef keeping. Some of u have systems that eat like 200/month in ele don't u??? So that is going to cut into the wallet. It's like loosing 2 full tanks of gas.

Charlie
01-25-2006, 08:30 AM
Kinda makes you think why so many people spend so much time researching MH lighting systems and not alternative systems that use less power.

toastman
01-25-2006, 09:03 AM
What sort of system uses less power? I dont think that the florescents do, but I never really gave the power draw issue much thought, on the hike note....it sucks, try having 6 houses under construction all on temporary heat of some sort.....ouch...... propane is high, natural gas is high, electricity is high, but my bank account is low

Dolfan0925
01-25-2006, 09:19 AM
I use a ton of electricity that is not necessary. I don't even know what my bill is. Doesn't matter, gonna pay it anyway.

01-25-2006, 09:34 AM
Interresting how Enron and California brownouts are scapegoats for our electricity pricing...

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ ... /1023/EDIT (http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050227/EDIT03/502270343/1023/EDIT)

Senate Bill 3 called for restructuring of the electric industry beginning Jan. 1, 2001, through Dec. 31, 2005. Those five years were considered a market development period, during which we would make a transition from monopoly to unregulated generation - distribution and transmission are still regulated. But things have not occurred as we expected. We had the California fiasco, which caused a lot of states to withdraw from deregulation. Enron obviously had their problems, which significantly influenced what would have been a good market for electricity. So the expectations for a better market did not materialize the way we hoped. That's not to say it will not someday. Obviously the savings that at one time had been forecasted have not been realized. On the other hand, there have been savings to some extent. Nobody's gotten hurt

lawrence
01-25-2006, 09:47 AM
Yes I agree.
Its intresting that the Feds say we have no inflation.
I have one section 8 rental I pay the utilities in it. The housing authority LOWERS my rent. All my cost went way up. goverment thinking
DON'T STEAL THE GOVERNMENT HATES COMPETITION!!

Lawrence

large_mouth_bass_1_each
01-25-2006, 01:04 PM
The Government doesn't have time to listen to your issues about anything, they are to busy trying to get control over crude oil and opiates! That's why they don't care that we have our own WAR going on here in the USA, and all our man power is over in the middle east!!!

Personally i'm occupying my mine trying to figure if there is some way I could better utilize the 120VAC RMS coming into my apartment. That 120v is really 70.7% of the first peak of the sin wave. So that peak is really 170vac. And if ua look at it on an oscilloscope the complete sin wave peak to peak is a total of 340vp-p. Total loss of 220v 60 times a second. That adds up to a lot of power your paying for and never getting. Now if I know it, and by no means am I a genius(I remember when I was young I thought I was) then I damn sure know they know it. I didn't figure out Aluminosilicate had the unusual properties it does that allows us to manufacture electronics, heck if it weren't for the MEGA-BRAINS out there, I'd still be stumbling around trying to figure out what to wipe my butt with. I'll bet they are some how harnessing it, and sending it back to us and charging us again for it!!!!!! I'll even go as far to say the "BROWN OUTS" are caused by their intent purposes.

the RMS figure I spoke of above, 70.7% is only used to convert ac voltage to a DC state to calculate power in wattage! So could it be possible to take advantage of the rest of the power...I'm waiting for it to come to me in a dream!!!

You guys have heard of people plugging devices into there wall outlet that cause the meter to spin backwards, well I don't need the fed's knocking on my door, but I just wonder that there might be something else we could do.

Of course as soon as "THE MAN" finds out about it they will just make up a new LAW to cover it as well. That's why If I come up with it, the only way to be able to keep it, is to keep it to myself...cause people just can't keep things to themselves, I guess another part of the "Human Condition."

Nobody's gotten hurt

LOL...I'm bleeding from every orifice!

Dolfan0925
01-25-2006, 01:18 PM
The Government bla bla bla

Allrighty, don't think this is reef related... :lol:

Am I going to have to make a new forum titled "Damn the Man" or something?

large_mouth_bass_1_each
01-25-2006, 01:21 PM
Yea I guess It did get into a whole other direction, maybe we should have a forum called "THE SUMP" or even "THE USA TOILET BOWL"

There isn't anybody out there that thinks I'm sounding like a bleeding heart liberal is there???? :lol:

01-25-2006, 01:32 PM
Kinda makes you think why so many people spend so much time researching MH lighting systems and not alternative systems that use less power.

So back on topic...

I think "many people spend so much time researching MH lighting systems" because they are one of the most cost effective options currently available on the market.

You can see from Sanjay's numbers on his different tests that creating 20K and 14K blue light is less efficient than 10K and 6.5K white light.

T5's are more efficient, but expensive enough that the break-even payback period is fairly long before they actually save you money compared to halides. .. and you don't get those glimmer lines.

Just be glad we don't live with $0.20/KwHr like they do on the west coast.

Dolfan0925
01-25-2006, 01:35 PM
With all the pumps, tv's, ovens, my electric heat turned up to 78* at all time during the winter, the amount of electricity my lights use is relatively tiny. If you really have a problem with how much you pay for power you might want to look elsewhere, the tank usually isn't that expensive.

01-25-2006, 02:30 PM
Tony-

You'll never want a big tank...

I just made a quick spreadsheet: Between pumps, lights, and heaters, my tank claims about 1/3 ($75) of my electric bill every month. Almost 1/2 of the tank's electric costs are due to lighting. Can't imagine if I had 400W halides instead of 250's.

With the new rate hike, it'll be nearly $100 a month.

Dolfan0925
01-25-2006, 02:34 PM
Ya but that is pretty much a worst case senario. And if anyone has a 400+gal tank I would imagine they're dropping alot more than $75/mo on crap they don't need. $75 extra a month would effect me, which is why I have a tank the size of my budget. :D

chiefkyle
01-25-2006, 02:36 PM
My tank (125 gallon)has 600watts of light. 2 Power heads. 1 Pump. 1 Heater.

I have no clue how much mine cost on my bill. I will try and calculate the bill this month. I know the bill has went up though.

Dolfan0925
01-25-2006, 02:44 PM
My tank (125 gallon)has 600watts of light. 2 Power heads. 1 Pump. 1 Heater.

I have no clue how much mine cost on my bill. I will try and calculate the bill this month. I know the bill has went up though.

I'm in the same boat you are, I dunno. I don't wanna know. Ignorance is bliss.

large_mouth_bass_1_each
01-25-2006, 03:16 PM
anybody see that KwHr meter for sale for like 30 bucks that some online reef sites have? It would be nice to know, but I just go back on CG&E'S websight and it gives me info on the past 2 years of use. So from the time I started, I see about 15 to 20 bucks higher.

sumphead
01-25-2006, 05:40 PM
Well, I just wrote a check for $297 for this months power bill. That's with 1 (one) 250W over my prop/rock tank. I am cringing when I actually turn on the rest of the system in a month or two.

3-250W, 1-150W, 2- 96W PC, Hmmerhead, blueline, Mak-IV, OM, Skimmer, CA-R, Kalk stirrer....and on and on and on

R-

large_mouth_bass_1_each
01-25-2006, 07:52 PM
just remember the kid that worked for Rally's when he totaled up the family's order...CHA-CHING!lol

I got a friend out in west harrison, he heats with propane, I think he said its like tripled in price, then with everything else going up, he might have to sell the place.

andrewr
01-25-2006, 11:03 PM
well guys sorry to break it to you but if you had done some reading before you started you would have known. ELECTRIC IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE THING IN REEFS!! Everyone knows it but I guess that doesnt mean that we have to like it. Perhaps if we just supported our war in the Middle East and got it done and took out that nut in Iran then we could get the prices back down. With the speculation of "an oil pinch" prices are going to go up. However, just like Michael Savage says, "I will pay 10 bucks a gallon to watch that savage, the Iranian Hitler, to starve. I hate that guy. Any of you out there on the up and up on whats going on over in Iraq/Iran/Syria??

sumphead
01-25-2006, 11:25 PM
Hey man, don't bundle me up with the "save the whales, trees, and whatever else is trendy" softy liberal anti-war hybrid driving daisies just becasue I complained about my electric bill. I just got done making a bracelet from endangered animal hide that says: WWRD (What Would Reagan Do?). Hell, make the middle east a radioactive Disneyland as long as I can spent my money on beer and running bagillion watt Metal Halide lamps.

But yeah, I was aware electricy was a cost component of my reef keeping hobby. An expensive one at that. But I have to go now and renew my NRA membership and complain about filling up my 6000 lb F150 super crew.

(disclaimer: While I am regeistered redder, This was merely a joke. I am a conservative who loves everyone...except martyrs and terrorist...oh and midgets.)

Coral Menagerie
01-26-2006, 10:02 AM
yes the electric is getting outrageous! but we heat with propane and the cost has not gone up from last year. it's actually been pretty steady for the past 5 or 6 years went up a little last year, but the first 3 year we had propane it did not go up at all. i can't say enough good about propane furnaces. there not as effiecent as electric but look what your paying for kw/hr propane is cleaner burning and now you can get a propane furnace that is like 98% efficent. i know i install them.

just my 2 cents,
frankie

Dolfan0925
01-26-2006, 10:25 AM
well guys sorry to break it to you but if you had done some reading before you started you would have known. ELECTRIC IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE THING IN REEFS!!

I disagree. I think STOCKING YOUR REEF is the most expensive thing in reefs. I spend more than my electric bill for my tank every month on the stuff inside. As far as my tank goes (with 2x175w MH + 2x55w PC) my electric bill for my tank is the least of my worries.

large_mouth_bass_1_each
01-26-2006, 11:21 AM
well guys sorry to break it to you but if you had done some reading before you started you would have known. ELECTRIC IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE THING IN REEFS!!

I disagree. I think STOCKING YOUR REEF is the most expensive thing in reefs. I spend more than my electric bill for my tank every month on the stuff inside. As far as my tank goes (with 2x175w MH + 2x55w PC) my electric bill for my tank is the least of my worries.

I'll have to go with this one, man every months im finding myself pumping out over a 100 bucks buying stuff for it, the ele is under 20/month, I wish that was all I had to pay, it would be nothing then.

andrewr
01-26-2006, 11:48 AM
if you keep a good tank after a while you cant stock it anymore because you have no room. but you still have that electric bill coming in every month. my tank costs me about 55 buck a month in electric. if i keep my tank going for 3.5 years that is more than the whole tank cost me. now if i went w/ 400's like some of you guys on here that would take a lot less time to get to. electric, water are the steady bills that add up.