PDA

View Full Version : alkalinity problem

Coral Menagerie
12-19-2005, 01:06 PM
i've been reading quite a few articles on alkalinity. the problem i'm having is the calcium level is just fine about 460. but my alkalinity i can't seem to get above 3. i know that calcium and alkalinity are related.
i have read an article that says that seachem reef builder uses borate and will throw off your alkalinity test. i've been using the aquarium systems test. do these test total alkalinity or what. this whole calcium and alkalinity thing is still kinda fuzzy around the edges for me.

anyone have any thoughts?

frankie

Coral Menagerie
12-19-2005, 03:47 PM
thanks for the offer bevis but marine solutions is about as far as you are and i'd rather have my own kit i hear they have salifert test kits.
thanks for the recipe for washing soda. i've read about it but did not know what it was. guess i'm going to make the trip and get the test kit.

frankie

Dolfan0925
12-20-2005, 12:53 AM
thanks for the offer bevis but marine solutions is about as far as you are and i'd rather have my own kit i hear they have salifert test kits.
thanks for the recipe for washing soda. i've read about it but did not know what it was. guess i'm going to make the trip and get the test kit.

frankie

Ya I'm pretty sure they always have alk and calc test kits. I'll prolly be picking one of each up when I'm up there this week.

Coral Menagerie
12-20-2005, 11:40 AM
just got back from marine solutions. they have plenty of test kits. first time i have seen the salifert in action very nice!

joe said to say he had plenty of salt for those that were looking for salt power buy.

frankie

Coral Menagerie
12-20-2005, 12:00 PM
IO for 9.95 per bag and the kent marine reef salt for 42.95 per bucket. yea i had to pick up the rest of them bartlet anthias too while i was there.

frankie

andrewr
01-04-2006, 11:48 PM
i found this good link:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm