PDA

View Full Version : SAVED BY GFCI!!!

Miller357
02-09-2005, 11:48 AM
Just wanted to give some info. I always tell people to make sure they install a GFCI. It smart to have one around all that water!

I had the door to my sump room shut to help with the cold winter months. Keeps those hundreds of gallons of water warmer :D Doing this also has raised the humidity in that room pretty high. I have a dehumidifier but it's bucket had filled and stopped. I have some fans mounted in the rafter to keep the air moving around. Well, those fan were also collecting moisture on the grill where the air was moving into the fan. One of my little box fans was mounted upside down to allow access to the switch. Well as the moisture built up it drained down in to the switch shorting it out. Thus tripping the GFCI instead of burning or electrifying the water in the fan for the next time I wanted to turn it off.

Here is some more information. These GFCI outlets run about $12 and if you don't want to install it in an outlet you can also get them at HD in a pig tail configuration.

http://www.diynet.com/diy/el_cords_outlets_wiring/article/0,2037,DIY_13803_2275358,00.html

02-09-2005, 12:32 PM
Good Advice - These are a must!!! I've been saved by them 2x in the last year.

I have 2 GFCI protected circuits that power the main tank and the sump room.

My battery backup for the air pump has a "pigtail" GFCI because it could keep running even if the house breaker was tripped.

There's another GFCI in the sump room that runs the washer and a few other outlets.

KrazyJenn
02-09-2005, 02:03 PM
Mine has saved me a few times when condensation has gotten in to one of my lights!!! Definatly worth the money!!

DUFFY
02-09-2005, 02:23 PM
:evil2: gues I am going to burn. Who is an electrician and can come help a brother out. My mother told me never to play with electric......something about getting my wires crossed :shock: .

I do have grounded power strips or whatever you call the surge protectors. I would win an award for the worst electrical set up in the club, hands down.

B

Dolfan0925
02-09-2005, 02:30 PM
I hear wire nuts work too, but that's just what I hear, time will tell :shock:

KrazyJenn
02-09-2005, 02:45 PM
LOL duffy,
Have you ever changed a plug? Its that simple. I put the one in my bathroom in, and I am blonde ( yes guys it works too!) :lol:
:D

02-09-2005, 02:50 PM
I would win an award for the worst electrical set up in the club, hands down.

I dunno. I saw Zeppelin's setup at his frag tank. No apparant GFCI's, and the 400W halide ballast was bare sitting on the floor next to the sump where water could easily splash out... It kinda scared me...

zeph
02-09-2005, 04:42 PM
If you are really into safe electricity and all, it is a good idea to have all aquarium hardware on its own breaker. Of course I just happened to have an electricin at my house when I decided wher my tank would be. :)

It really isn't that much to have a seperate breaker installed as compared to frying expensive equipment or losing power to other things in your house.

I will admit that GFCIs have saved me as well. However, I have heard they do not always trip, especially when they get older.

In summary, I have power strips with breakers running to two GFCIs which are on their own breaker.

Zeph

Sir David
02-09-2005, 06:39 PM
About 25 years ago I got a hefty shock from a light fixture on a freshwater aquarium. Now the first thing I do whenever I am even thinking about an aquarium is put in a GFI outlet. It really is not difficult but you should test it with the plug thing that lights up differently if it is wired incorrectly. It is worth the time and money.

todd
02-09-2005, 08:44 PM
They make portable gcfis that you just plug into your wall and then plug everything onto the gcfi or you can install one in the actual outlet. They are easy...the hardest part is shutting off the power to the outlet...

Jeremy E
02-09-2005, 09:20 PM
One of my best friends is a electrician. He is wiring my sump room and wired my tank. I have every circuit protected in the basement with a 20amp GFI and the plugs next to tied in. They are all at least 2 feet above water and all the equiptment will have drip loops on it. I plan on not only having a dehumidifer running but a exhaust fan will be running as well. The wire will be encased in pvc as well as the plugs with covers and gaskets behined them and everything will be glued. The panel has two dedicated GFCI breakers in it for the room the same as my jetted bathtub in the bathroom has. Bevis is right though they are expensive (around $40) but these are the best protection. My buddy also wired my Hot tub as well. This has a 50amp GFI breaker outside the house and a 50 GFI in the panel to. My new 200amp Box is almost filled up! :D And I wonder why my bill is so high? :roll: ](*,) One day I will learn.
jeremy

APorter
02-10-2005, 09:48 AM
If you replace a regular outlet with a GFCI, make sure you wire correctly so that the GFCI is only controlling that single outlet and not the rest of the outlets down the line as well.