PDA

View Full Version : spots on fin of cinamon clown

Chadb114
04-11-2004, 02:14 PM
I have a mature 2-3 inch cinamon clown that I just moved to my house and put in a 75 gal tank. curren levels are : pH 8.2 ammonia=0.4; nitrite =0 ; nitrate = 10. Tank is still cycling a bit i guess since i had to wait a few days to put the rock back in the tank.
Anyway, my clown has very small white specks on one fin (side of body) that is the only spot. maybe one speck at base of gill flap. What I've looked at on the web for Ich shows the specks larger, like a grain of sand. these are smaller than that. I'm not sure if they have been there all along or not. I hadn't looked that close.
Could someone give me an opinion on what it could be? No other fish in the tank and I havn't added anything to the tank that wasn't in it before I moved it. any links to good pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Chad

Greg
04-11-2004, 05:55 PM
Chad,

Without seeing it, I would say it is Ich. While ich can be large, that is because several Ich gets on one spot and looks like one spot but really it might be 10 spots all together.

The reason I think it would be ich is because you see it on the fins first usually because fins are transparent. Clowns are very hardy and you should probably not treat him since he has just a few spots. Ich will frequently not spread to other fish and the fish with a small infestation will rid itself of it. Just keep your water quality good and keep feeding healthy foods and it should resolve itself within a week or so. You may also try soaking the food in garlic, which is said to help but you need not do it, just an option. If you find other fish get it or that his gets worse, please repost so others can offer more aggressive approaches.

Also, what other fish are in the tank? If you have a tang, he will most likely get it too, they frequently will.

Is the clown and the other fish new from stores or have you had them awhile? Brook's will look like ich at times but only freshly caught wild fish are likely to have it and you will know within a few days because the fish starts loosing its skin :(

By the way, when you stress fish by moving them to new tanks or when they are not 100% happy, ich may appear on them but once the intitial stress is over, which is about a week, the fish will get rid of the ich itself.

The only other thing that I would point out is that if he is getting beat up or bothered by other fish in the tank, you will need to remove him because he will spend too much energy fighting the fish and not enough getting his immune system back up.

Chadb114
04-11-2004, 09:45 PM
Thanks a ton, you answered several of my other questions too.

The clown is the only fish I have, I inherited him with the tank.

I was wanting to get a couple other fish as soon as the water quality is up to par, but afraid the ich would spread. Probably a few green chromis (I knew to stay away from the tang right now.) I guess more fish would mean more stress so wait for it to clear up right? I read that there was a fairly long life cycle for the ich parasite. Is there a certain amount of time I should wait after its gone before I should add more fish?

I think I'll get some garlic juice, I've seen everyone rave about it in other posts. Plus its cheap and hey, it can't hurt. I'll quit messing with my rocks too and just leave him alone for a while.

The guy I got the tank from said raise the temperature. Any feelings on that approach?

By the way, where does it come from? The only thing I put in the tank that wasn't already there when I moved it was 3 bags of argonite/sand from Jack's.

Thanks again,
Chad.

KrazyJenn
04-11-2004, 10:36 PM
chad, another thing that can trigger Ich is a change ( usually a drop ) in water temperature... Ich has an incubation time of 14 days, I have always raised the water temperature ( others might have different feelings on this ) but the raise in temperature usually causes the parasite to release from the fish and it can not reproduce when it is free swimming ( or not as well i forget, it has been awhile since i had some Ich education) Also as to where the ich came from is a some what debated subject, some believe that it is an ever present parasite in the water, others disagree. I personally would not doubt if it is ever present but do not have a real strong opnion on that subject imparticular, just as long as i can prevent or worse case, treat it sucessfully I dont feel the need to joing the " ever present ich" debate :lol:
Jenn

Greg
04-12-2004, 01:17 AM
Jenn is right, I think Ich is in all tanks because fish in a tank that has had nothing added in a year or more can get Ich when stressed, such as a heater not working for some time. I would probably do nothing more then wait it out. Your temp should be about 80 all the time and I would not try a freshwater dip, hyposalinity, temp increase, or any other drastic measure yet... unless it gets worse.
The temp change is because the higher the temp, the faster they fall off the fish and become cysts in the tank... none the less they are still there so unless you want to dump chemicals in to treat... just let the fish fight it off because once the temp drops back down, the cysts hatch again.
If it makes you feel any better, I have had many fish over the years with Ich and I dont think I have ever actually lost one. I did have a Brook outbreak that wiped out a 125 filled with salt fish a few years ago... but that was because I didnt quarantine new fish.... :?

Keep an eye on him and see what happens in the next few days... I bet it clears up unless your tank has something that is stressful on the fish. Keep us updated.

Chadb114
04-12-2004, 08:41 PM
Great, I'll just let him be. Thanks for the help.

Chadb114
04-25-2004, 10:54 AM
The ick is completly gone as far as I can tell. it took almost 2 1/2 weeks.
yeah! :partydot: