PDA

View Full Version : pre-breeding behavior?

Russ
02-18-2004, 06:01 AM
The larger of my two GS maroons has "dug" and redug a basin in the sand about 6" across and an inch deep. Stirs up the sand like crazy. Is this some sort of behavior to entice the other maroon into starting a family?

Russ

Greg
02-18-2004, 09:50 AM
Well, maybe so or maybe not :lol:

How long have you had the pair? Some of the larger clowns will dig a hole out at times just for 'sleeping quarters' at night but others at times will do it for a nest for babies. They will only lay eggs on a hard surface so if the hole has a rock or a glass side next to it, it may be spawning preparation.
Since one is larger then the other, as long as you have had them for a month or two, then they are a pair and will breed soon enough. :applause:

Russ
02-18-2004, 08:15 PM
Had them for about a year, and the hole is nearly under some rocks. Sounds like I'd better go buy some cigars...

Greg
02-18-2004, 11:19 PM
Russ,

Sounds like you may be having babies soon. I would encourage you to start feeding high fat foods for the next several weeks and see how it goes. Try the frozen foods like brine, krill, mysis, and so forth. If you really wanted to get fancy, soak the food in some HUFA stuff like Selco.