PDA

View Full Version : Clowns won't host....

Mark Anthony
02-18-2004, 04:27 AM
I cannot seem to get my clowns to host with anything. In the past I have had a Condy (which I took back to store because it kept stinging plate coral), a plate coral (which died), and I currently have a Frogspawn which I've had for about 3 monthss.

I recently bought a hammer coral and they don't seem to like it either.....

I have heard that sometimes putting a picture of a lionfish next to the tank will work, but I don't want to be that cruel.

Anyone have any other ideas????

Thank you,
Mark

DaveMac
02-18-2004, 08:33 AM
What type of clownfish are they? That makes a big difference in what type of anemone to buy.

This isn't 100% fact, you will find variants. However, it is a good guide to get you started.

Cryptodendrum adhaesivum (adhesive or pizza)
A. clarkii

Entacmaea quadricolor (bulb-tentacle, BTA, or corn)
A. akindynos
A. allardi
A. bicinctus
A. chrysopterus
A. clarkii
A. ephippium
A. frenatus
A. latezonatus
A. mccullochi
A. melanopus
A. omanensis
A. rubrocinctus
A. tricinctus
P. biaculeatus

Heteractis aurora (beaded or sand)
A. akindynos
A. allardi
A. bicinctus
A. chrysogaster
A. chrysopterus
A. clarkii
A. tricinctus

Heteractis crispa (long tentacle, LTA, leathery, or milk)
A. akindynos
A. bicinctus
A. chrysopterus
A. clarkii
A. ephippium
A. latezonatus
A. leucokranos
A. melanopus
A. omanensis
A. perideraion
A. polymnus
A. sandaracinos
A. tricinctus

Heteractis magnifica (magnificent, ritteri, or skunk)
A. akallopisos
A. bicinctus
A. chagosensis
A. chrysopterus
A. clarkii
A. leucokranos
A. melanopus
A. nigripes
A. ocellaris
A. percula
A. perideraion

Heteractis malu (sebae, delicate, or sand)
A. clarkii

Macrodactyla doreensis (long tentacle, LTA, or corkscrew tentacle)
A. chrysogaster
A. clarkii
A. perideraion

Stichodactyla gigantea (gigantic or carpet)
A. akindynos
A. bicinctus
A. clarkii
A. ocellaris
A. percula
A. perideraion
A. rubrocinctus

Stichodactyla haddoni (haddon's, saddleback, carpet, or sand carpet)
A. akindynos
A. chrysogaster
A. chrysopterus
A. clarkii
A. polymnus
A. sebae

Stichodactyla mertensii (merten's, or spotted-base carpet)
A. akallopisos
A. akindynos
A. allardi
A. chrysogaster
A. chrysopterus
A. clarkii
A. fuscocaudatus
A. latifasciatus
A. leucokranos
A. ocellaris
A. sandaracinos
A. tricinctus

(Taken from ReefCentral's Anemone/Clownfish FAQ)
http://www.carlosreef.com/AnemoneFAQ.pdf

Greg
02-18-2004, 09:53 AM
David has the very detailed list. I would encourage a BTA or RBTA simply because they are easy to care for, will split (reproduce) in your tank, and almost all clowns will host in the them given time. Some of the others listed like the LTA and the Carpet are more delicate and the carpet at times will eat your fish, even clowns.

It is also worth noting that a clown will host in about anything, even things you dont want them to host in. An example, my false perculas host in my RBTA as does my fire clown and maroons. I know of others who have their clown host in bubble corals and several other LPS's

todd
02-19-2004, 08:39 AM
I agree with greg--perhaps they are retarded or just don't want to host at the moment.

I laugh and shrug at peeps that say "well, Ocellaris won't host in an LTA, it's not their natural host in the wild you have to get a so and so to host them..."

well idiot, they're living in a friggin Tridacna clam right now why the he)) wouldn't they go in an LTA!

IME they will host in anything.
To begin with most clowns are TR right now and they've never lived in an anemone before so I really don't know if they are atuned to specific species..I think the host deal is because those are the dominant species/genus where those particular clowns dwell in the reef not because they prefer them
"I only like Chevys..I won't touch dem Tayotas..."

Do they really dicipher between the two?
can we perform a taste test?

Coke in this corner, pepsi in the other and let the clowns decide which they like better (Ritteri in one corner, Bubbletip in the other)

One is less filling the other tastes great?

I'm not against clowns hosting in a LPS such as the ones you mentioned but some of those corals such as the plate are very delicate and having clowns beat and bash around in them could eventually lead to disaster. Soft corals seem more resilient and large LPS corals such as the massive non-branching hammers and Frogspawn but smaller ones and the heliofungia might have a hard time.

On the other hand, when my mated female was single and without a host (a few years ago) she adopted the friggin skimmer box...

Todd

Todd

Mark Anthony
02-19-2004, 03:34 PM
I will never get another plate coral. I am afraid to get an anenome since they like to move around, and also I don't think that my lighting is up to par for any of those corals.....

I have a small little Frogspawn and a Hammer coral.
http://home.woh.rr.com/myfishies/images/Hammer.jpg

I was really hoping they would take to one of these......

I need to get a bigger tank!

DaveMac
02-20-2004, 08:34 AM
I had a LTA which my clownfish beat to death, and about a month later my wife wanted a long tentacled plate coral. Our LFS recommended buying a bta and giving the clowns time to host in it, then try a plate coral.

I was afraid of the clowns beating the bta to death again, so he recommended buying some strawberries that come in those clear plastic containers and covering the bta until the clowns could get used to it. I started with the cover on for about a day and slowly weened the bta off of it.... starting with about 2 hours per day. Over about 2 weeks the bta settled in and found a good spot to attach, and I left the cover off and the clowns have been fine.

2 weeks ago we bought a long tentacled plate coral and the clownfish haven't touched it. I have seen one of then swim over and kind of look at it like it's trying to figure out what it is, but he has never gotten near it.

Jeremy E
02-29-2004, 10:31 PM
My Clowns took over a year to host in their anoe... Don't get discouraged. Now my anoe. has split asexually 4 times. They host in all five anoes.. They even host in the frogspawn and the long ten.. plate. It just takes time. Try feeding the anon.. krill at the same time "lure" the clown over to it and through it with the Krill. That worked a little when I did it. Be carefull though because my anoe.. will take the feeding prong almost out of your hand!!! They stick to it and won't let go.

Mark Anthony
06-11-2004, 01:21 PM
Well, guess what.....

One of my clowns has decided that he likes to host in the Feather Duster....... :roll:

Think it will stress out the feather duster?

Greg
06-11-2004, 01:44 PM
Mark,

It should be fine... my clowns host in SPS, LPS, RBTA, BTA, holes in rocks... they pick where they want... and once they do, you cant stop them anyway. :D