PDA

View Full Version : first reef

BIGFOOT
12-21-2003, 05:41 PM
this a list of what i got avaible form recent years of freshwater tanks.
now i want to reef and i am cornfused living in the stickes
1) vho lighting able to run 4-48"
2) 75 gal. tank and stand (metal) which i will use
3) co2 tank with reg and bubble counter
4) 55 gal. wet/dry (complete)
5) sea clone protien skimmer ( gave to me)
6) fluidrize bed filter
7) many different power heads
keep in mind that money is no object here and that i need to know the very best to keep sps, soft corals in short i want a litttle of every thing.
do i use tap water ? do i buy a calcium reactor?doi buy uncured rock cuz it is $3.5 per lb.? i need to know everthig cuz i am lost and info is difficult to sypher
your lost buddy
brian

Greg
12-21-2003, 06:08 PM
keep in mind that money is no option here

Are you trying to do it with spending little money or do you mean that you have a huge budget?

If you can, I would say to change the lighting to Metal Halides if you want to keep SPS and LPS. Alot of the items listed above look like a great start, I will let others respond with their opinions.

Lenny Llambi
12-22-2003, 12:38 PM
Brian:

Hope to see you at one of our meetings. I bet you would be able to digest all that information better, if you could see it "in action" in one of our member's tanks.

First off, ditch the seaclone. They are not a good protein skimmer, imo. They can develop some wicked salt creep, and they are just a downright bad skimmer. I've had success with the Red Sea Prizm....since you are setting up a 75, I believe you would need the pro size.

Also, you will not need the fluidized bed, as Live Rock provides all the biological filtration you could ever ask for (well...unless you go for a deep sand bed, but that's another thread).

The wet/dry filter....well it depends on what type it is. Many wet/dry's are built to provide a huge surface area (w/ bioballs, ceramic beads, etc.) for nitrifying bacteria to flourish. Again, since you will be using live rock, this type of filter would be a redundancy. Now if the wet/dry can be stripped of the bio-balls, and converted into more of a sump...you could use it, at the very least to install ugly hardware such as heaters and a protein skimmer, so that you dont have wires and hardware dangling in your beautiful reef. Also, you would be increasing the total volume of water in your system, and as far as reefing goes....bigger is better. It would be even better if you could turn the wet/dry into a refugium as well, where again you can hang ugly hardware, grow algae that sucks up nitrates and phosphates, and grow small inverts to feed your show inverts in the main tank. Can you upload a pic? That would help.

Hope this Helps

Lenny

JugglerDave
12-22-2003, 02:07 PM
I'm with greg, did you mean money is no object? or money is not an option?

If no object, hey this could be fun!
If not an option then you could still have a nice tank, but I'd need a little more info to help you.

On my first post on cincy reef I wrote...
"I want to be a big tank."
Instead of...
"I want to buy a big tank."

Obviously some people still avoid me and think I'm weird.

Typos Suck,
Juggler Dave

BIGFOOT
12-22-2003, 04:29 PM
i meant no object the fingers have got a mind of there own i need to know what to buy from start to the part of putting in the animals which i will start thread on later thax for the replies so far butt still cornfused
i will be at the next meeting to join the club cuz i know how important the club is to me at least

DUFFY
12-23-2003, 09:25 PM
Well if money where no object to me I would buy the Eco system mud filter, refugium/sump. Do a google search on the company. I met one of there reps at the GCAS spring convention and was really amazed at what the system supported as far as marine life. The miracle mud will replace the skimmer so it will replace some costs. I have his card at the office, and I know that you can buy it online at many wholesalers. If you are interested pm me and I will tell you where I have seen it.

Brian